Making second drive the master

oberon 20:14 28 Dec 06

I have just upgraded my sons computer with new m/board and processor. After switch on the hard drive wasn't recognised so I used an old 12 Gb I had lying around to get XP up and running, and his system on the go. His old drive I have now resurrected and I would like to put this back into his machine but make this one the master. How do I get all of the XP startup and settings info across to make this new disc the boot option, and can I do this.

Taff™ 23:18 28 Dec 06

Two Options.

Leave the 12 Gb (Ideal Size) that is working as the master and use the other one as a slave drive for data.

Go to the HDD manufacturers website and download the utility that clones the disk to the new drive. Who manufactured the new drive?

Strawballs 23:26 28 Dec 06

Buy a copy of acronis true image make an image of the drive that is working then transfer to the other drive so it will not need re-activating and all your applications will be there

oberon 19:50 29 Dec 06

Many thanks to Taff and Strawballs. The drives were both Maxtor but nothing found easily on their site. We have got the Acronis true image and have imaged the drives across. Many thanks, my son is now a lot happier, and I have managed to keep my standing as the PC fixer in the house.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…