//some 3rd party need geo

Making rhe best use of new 2nd hard drive.

John B 08:16 24 Mar 05

I have just installed a 2nd drive(F:)160Gb. The original drive is (C:)20Mb with XP pro; this drive is the master.

I should like use the new drive to store and run software and large video files.

Do I need to put XP on this drive, or can I leave it where it is?

Any thoughts please?

John

MichelleC 08:48 24 Mar 05

You don't need an os on it but I'd put it on anyway so if your main xp goes awol you can easily reclaim data. If you're going to use it for dv editing and dv storage it would be best to split it in to (say) 3 partitions. When rendering, capturing etc errors are eliminated more by using different partitions.

Diodorus Siculus 08:48 24 Mar 05

No need for an operating system on the second drive. Partition and format it and use it to store your data.

And if you get Ghost or the like, use it to store an image of your OS drive.

John B 09:34 24 Mar 05

I've backed up drive C: to the new drive using XP's backup facility and now have a rescue disc on floppy for emergencies.

I should really like to be able to have all of my programs on the new disc; can I just drag the files across to the new drive?

Thanks

MichelleC 10:06 24 Mar 05

Progs don't work by copying or moving. But if you use Diodorus Siculus' advice you can clone whole drive and they will work.

dan11 10:14 24 Mar 05

What also is worth doing is to create a very small partition, say 2gig. Make this your swap file partition of say 1gig min and 1gig max. This will take some of the pressure off the "C" drive and cut down on fragmentation of that drive.

John B 11:25 24 Mar 05

Please could someone tell me how create the 2Gb partition suggested by dan11, and explain what it does?

Cheers!

dan11 11:41 24 Mar 05

Have you partitioned the new hard drive yet? It is very easy to do in windows XP. Also how much ram is installed on your system.

The swap file is a space on your hard drive that virtual memory can be written to. This adds to the installed memory, on the machine, to store data ready for processing. Normally this is located on the "C" drive and has a variable size. So in effect the space on the hard drive shrinks and expands according to how many intensive programmes are being run. Writing data to the hard drive as the virtual memory is being used can and does increase the ammount of fragmentation of files. This can mean that files are spread over the hard disk, making the hard disk work harder and longer to locate the files.

Installing the virtual memory onto a fixed dedicated partition cuts down on all this. Setting the size to the same min and max cuts down on the shrinking and expanding of the page file. So the virtual memory is stable.

John B 11:57 24 Mar 05

I don't know if I have partitioned the drive (thick?) but I did format it; it just appears as one big drive. The m/c has 384Mb RAM. Can I still add the small partition you mentioned earlier?

Ta!

dan11 12:04 24 Mar 05

Yes the process is easy.

Have you anything installed on the drive yet?

Would you like to partition the drive first to the sizes you require?

post back on how you would like your new disk split into partitions.e.g. sizes.

John B 12:09 24 Mar 05

I've backed up drive C: to the new drive using XP's backup facility and now have a rescue disc on floppy for emergencies.

That's all that's on there at the moment.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…