Making pictures smaller for email prompt...

wotbus@ 11:24 27 Dec 04

WinXP Home. Before, when selecting several pictures to send by email [Outlook], I used to be prompted with a little box requesting "Do you want to make your pictures smaller" etc. I found this very useful but today I tried it several times and no box appeared! Question [1] Why has this box disappeared and how can I get it back and [2] If I right-click an image and select Resize, I am offered 3 or 4 different sizes to chose from, so I wondered if anyone knows which size would have be chosen if I had used my old "make smaller" option? Thanks in advance.

Graham ® 11:31 27 Dec 04

Select the picture in My Pictures, click on 'Email this file'. You will then get the box. Click 'Show more options' for the sizes.

wotbus@ 11:52 27 Dec 04

Thanks. What I wanted to know was [a] why has my normal prompt box disappeared and how can I get it back, and [b] If I resize using the options, which size to I chose to make it the same as the size Windows used before when I used the "make my pictures smaller" option.

Graham ® 11:55 27 Dec 04

The easiest way is to email yourself and experiment.

wotbus@ 12:16 27 Dec 04

Yes, I follow your line of thought but I was hoping to avoid requests from my usual recipients to "send em like I used to before" sort of thing. Cheers anyway.

anchor 17:57 27 Dec 04

Open the folder containing the picture.

Right click on the picture file, and select "send-to", then select "mail recipient".

A small new box opens with your picture. Then click on "show more options". I strongly suggest you choose "Large", (poor quality on the other sizes). Click OK.

The picture is then sent to your mail client. This method reduced a 1.78Mb jpg to 98Kb.

anchor 17:59 27 Dec 04

I have just remembered this may only work with Windows XP.

wotbus@ 19:55 27 Dec 04

I reckon you may have sussed it as the reduction you quote seems very familier. I have since found a new Hotmail PlugIn [arrived in my inbox this afternoon] which will resize in bulk, what a coincidence ;-) ] - and my own FinePix Fuji program has something similar, but I am still at a loss as to why something I had before....I dont have now! End of year bonus I suppose! Thanks to you and everyone showing an interest.

wotbus@ 22:16 02 Jan 05

Since my XP Home stopped working properly [for some unknown reason], I have had to search all my image programs and explore all other sorts of menu options in order to make several images smaller at once to go by email. Whilst this is possible via labour intensive and round-about means I would be very happy to have my "one click" solution back. Please, can anyone help me to restore the little prompt window which, whenever several images were selected for email, used to state "Windows can make your images smaller for email...do you want to make them smaller". All I had to do was click Yes and the smaller images would appear on a blank Outlook email form as "Emailing" attachments - then all I had to do was type in the address and a bit of text and click send.
Sometimes, when prompt boxes appear, there is a place for a "Tick" for "Do not ask me again" - could it be this???. Much obliged if someone could help. Thanks.

beeuuem 23:00 02 Jan 05

It may be the images are not being recognized as being supported by XP.

Click Start, Run and type "Regsvr32 Shimgvw.dll" (without the quotes) then OK

Restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

wotbus@ 15:08 03 Jan 05

beeuuem - I owe you - back to normal now, and thanks a million. I ran the line you suggested and after OK I was treated to an XP window which stated the line was "successful". Without restarting [eager - so eager] I did a couple of test runs and Bingo - it's all back to normal. If you are ever in Cherbourg look me up - the Red stuff is on me. Happy New Year and thanks again. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…