Making Paintshop Pro default image viewer

murgle 20:12 21 May 05

How do I make Paintshop Pro my default picture viewer. I have Windows XP Pro.

Many thanks

VoG II 20:14 21 May 05

Right click on a picture file, Open With. Browse to find Paint Shop Pro and tick the box to always use this program to open this type of file.

murgle 20:17 21 May 05

When I browse and locate Paintshop, is say Paintshop Pro is not a valid Win 32 Application.

Thanks

VoG II 20:46 21 May 05

Odd.

Does the same thing happen if you launch PSP from the Start menu or a shortcut?

Is there an option in PSP in Tools/Options or similar to make it the default viewer? (I don't have PSP so I can't check.)

murgle 20:54 21 May 05

It opens fine everywhere else? I have not found any options to make it default throught the Paintshop options

VoG II 21:02 21 May 05

Is Windows Picture and Fax Viewer opening when you open a picture? If so, Start, Run, type

regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

murgle 21:12 21 May 05

Yes they open in Windows Picture and Fax viewer . Do I type the above with the space. What will this do please?

Thanks very much

VoG II 21:14 21 May 05

Yes with the space.

It will stop Windows Picture and Fax Viewer opening them. It is reversible in the extremely unlikely event that something horrible happens (just type the above without the /u).

murgle 21:20 21 May 05

No difference whatsoever

Eric10 21:44 21 May 05

Going back to your first answer to VoG™. The file you should be browsing to is C:\Program Files\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro 8\Paint Shop Pro.exe although the version number will reflect the version you have installed. Is that the path and file you selected to 'open with' as per VoG™'s first reply?

murgle 21:56 21 May 05

Thanks Eric10, I had not located it using the path you have listed but from a drop down menu. I followed your instructions and it now works fine.

Thanks also to VoG for your help.

This is one brilliant forum :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…