Making own web browser

01chris 17:41 28 Oct 05

I think I am right in thinking firefox is open source. (If not please let me know).

Anyway how easy would it be to get hold of the code and modify it into my own browser? What software do you reccomend?

Belatucadrus 17:54 28 Oct 05

Look under "Developer links" for hyperlinks to source code tarball & How to Build Firefox - instructions and configuration. Also click here for the Mozilla/Firefox developers forum.
You may also be interested in the Flock project click here Flock is a browser currently in pre release that's based around the Firefox core.

Belatucadrus 17:55 28 Oct 05

click here forgot to put in the developer links page.

i.tech 17:58 28 Oct 05

No idea how to make a browser or what software to use but you are right in that the firefox is based on the mozilla browser which is open source.

octal 18:08 28 Oct 05

In Linux I can open all the Firefox scripts and I dare say I could change them if I wanted. There are also some text based browsers in Linux that are useful as a building block, again learning script writing isn't that difficult, it just takes a little time.

01chris 18:58 28 Oct 05

I saw flock on the tv last night and that is what inspired me. Where is the developers links link?

And what software do you reccomend i use?

Belatucadrus 19:59 28 Oct 05

"Where is the developers links"

click here

about half way down the page

01chris 20:17 28 Oct 05

I thought you meant the link was on the Pcadvisor site.

Is anyone using Flock? Is it just me or does it remind you of Firefox a lot???

Belatucadrus 20:37 28 Oct 05

The core of Flock is clearly based on Firefox, with the link for the extra search engines being the same as Firefox. What extensions there are also have a very familiar look. The main area of difference is in the blogging tools, which are completely new and appear to be Flocks main selling feature. But as a non bloggee I'm not really in a position to evaluate them. Perhaps some more sociable garulous forumite will test and offer a more informed opinion on those functions.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…