Making New PC more compatible for me

himscr 10:59 22 Aug 14

I am planning on purchasing a new PC after barely using one for about 4 years, instead using things like a tablet or similar device. I have had physical health problems for quite a few years that in the most recent year plus have made using my tablet or phone very difficult.

The main issue is linked to nausea and was wondering what I could do on the PC to make this easier.

The things I have noted (but haven't yet tried) are:

Using page up and page down rather than scrolling. Reducing brightness. Changing colours to something darker. Something about flicker rate? So it doesn't flicker as much anyway. Using an LED screen. Using software such as dragon to avoid typing. Not looking at the monitor when typing. Using some text to speech software. Something called clear type? I read it was on XP so I don't know about Windows 8 or 8.1 And then just things like taking breaks etc.

So does anyone have any other ideas of what could make my experience easier and what I could do to enjoy my new PC, I am not planning on using to play any games or watch any films etc. but did want to use it for generally going on the internet, learning to code, maybe starting my own podcast and I just like the idea of tinkering with the computer even though I don't know how to, little tips and tricks etc.

So if anyone has any ideas of what I could do to make it an easier experience for me, eg. If anyone knows of a text to speech software I could use or something that meant I could navigate the computer or internet through speech. Or any interest things or projects I could start up with all thus spare time I have due to being unwell.

Thank you.

rdave13 11:31 22 Aug 14

Have a look at speech recognition.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:52 22 Aug 14

With an LED backlit LCD monitor there may still be some noticeable flickering, especially at low brightness settings.

Most LED backlit monitors use pulse width modulation (PWM) to reduce the apparent brightness. this works by switching the backlights on and off, rapidly, to reduce the brightness. At low brightness settings the backlight is off for more of the time and flicker may be noticeable to people who are more susceptible.

Some newer monitors no longer use PWM to control brightness and eliminate flicker altogether.

Further reading from Tftcentral.co.uk This site also has a list of known flicker free monitors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…