Making the new hard drive the boot drive

Shanks69 17:40 10 Apr 04

New Hard drive is installed and already recognised by the pc, and has been installed as a slave to the original hard drive.

I'm about to load windows onto the new drive, and once I've copied everything I want from the old drive, the old drive will be wiped/formatted and used for storage.

Will it then be simply a matter of changing jumper settings to make the new as master and old as slave - or do I have to enter the bios ?

bremner 17:43 10 Apr 04

Take the old drive out. Change the jumper on the new drive to master.

Install your O/S.

Install the old drive back into the machine as slave and copy across everything you want.

Then wipe.format etc the old drive.

bremner 17:47 10 Apr 04

Sorry missed vital point.

If you are installing XP, 98 or ME you will need to ensure the machine boots from the DVD/CD drive. This will entail a trip into the BIOS.

Go to the Boot tab and ensure DVD/CD is the primary boot device.

Then boot the machine and ..... Robert is your mothers sisters husband.

Shanks69 17:56 10 Apr 04

Thanks for that - couldnt I use a floppy boot to install the os ?

ade.h 18:00 10 Apr 04

Don't forget to run Files & Settings Transfer Wizard before removing your old drive - just use it to copy your settings to removable media and you'll find the new installation that much easier.

Rayuk 18:02 10 Apr 04

Just remove cables[ide and power supply]no need to physically remove the drive.
Just remember to change the drive jumper to slave before reconnecting it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…