Making my network quicker

bennyc 09:32 28 May 03

I won't to make my current network quicker, it is currently 10 Mbps but don't really know what i need to do to make my network 100 Mbps. I think that I have to change my hub that i'm using can anyone expand on this.

I was also thinking of buying a router for my network and getting my hub so that i don't have to have my gateway computer on everytime i want to access the internet, so i was looking for a 100Mbps router but would also like a built in firewall with the router does anyone know such a product ???

zoomer 09:51 28 May 03

most recent ethernet cards + cable (cat 5) are 100mbps, however if you have old equipment then to achieve 100mbps then you would of course need to ensure that all your components were 100mbps capable.
I assume when you want a router you have broadband?, if so there are lots of modem/routers available now that would fit your needs, pesonally if I were you I`d go wireless while I was at it (so to speak)

bennyc 10:02 28 May 03

I have got broadband, but the reason for not going wireless would be because I've already got the cables and the NIC's are all 100Mbps compatable.

But I'm still not sure what routers go at 100Mbps and have a built in firewall that supports cables.

AndySD 10:10 28 May 03

click here I use the FR114P on my network at home .. it has 4 ports for other PCs and a firewall...it was simple to install and configure.... does your modem connect to the pc by usb or a network cable (RJ45)

zoomer 10:15 28 May 03

you should have no problem in sourcing a router to suit your needs,I`m sure currently they will all be capable of 100mbps,most also have built in firewall capabilities, I dont have personal knowledge of any specific types as I live in a non broadband enabled area..:=(

bennyc 10:16 28 May 03

The broadband modem contacts to the gateway using USB.

Thanks for that suggestion I'll have a look at it.

bennyc 10:19 28 May 03

If your after broadband zoomer then go here click here for the latest news and to demand broadband for your area.

AndySD 10:55 28 May 03

The FR114P only connects to the modem via RJ45 so you will need to look for something similar with a USB connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…