Making memory work better

Josquius 12:39 07 Feb 05

Recently a game I have been playing has started shutting itself down randomly due to lack of memory. It has never done this before despite me having done the same thing as I am doing now many times before on it.
Is there anyway I can make the memory on my computer work better so as not to have this program run out of memory? Are there any draining system processes I can end temporarily?

dan11 13:41 07 Feb 05

If you are using windows XP. Then you could try these;

Start > run > msconfig > start up tab. Untick every thing apart from your antivirus and firewall, if they are listed. It will require a reboot.

You could check the size of your paging file ( virtual memory ). This is in control panel > system > advanced > performance > advanced > virtual memory. What readings do you have there? This can be tweaked to get better performance, but the size of your hard drive / drives, available space on them and if you have any partitions would need to be known to get the best performance.

You could then check on windows task manager ( ctrl + alt + delete )/ processes/ memory usage, to see if anything else is hogging the memory.

Josquius 15:27 07 Feb 05

Antivirus and firewall are all that is needed on startup?
I thought there was some system processes included in there (e.g. rundll32)

dan11 18:02 07 Feb 05

If you are using win 98 or ME, yes.

Thats why I said " If you are using windows XP. Then you could try these; " ;-)

If you are not using XP, then do not try them. :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…