Making links using keywords

Charence 23:40 14 Jan 05

I've got a page where there are many keywords which I wanted to make links for, but I thought that writing each link could not be the best solution.

e.g. on the PCA Forum, some words are linked to sponsors (the green ones).

How can I do something similar to this? I would like to be able to have a website which will be able to recognise that there is the word "Chicken" and then make the link "Chicken.html" for it.

For a sample of the page I'm wanting to apply this to, take a look at click here

Charence

Charence 15:38 15 Jan 05

What do I do if the site is dynamic? It uses PHP and a MySQL database. Do I just change "Chicken" to "<a href="chicken . html">Chicken</a>" in the database?

Charence

Talented Monkey 18:26 15 Jan 05

changing the text within the database is very messy time consuming and cumbersome. I assume you already know a bit about PHP and mysql, so ill just give you a brief description with what i would do. then maybe tkae it further.

When you take the webpage text from the database, simply pass it through a function that will replace the words as required. you can sotre the words you wnat to change and the corosponding web address either in the code or a seperate file. like this

chicken,ww.chickenlink/blahb/blah,
rabbit,ww.rabbitlink/blablahb/blahb

In the new function, you will read this info into an array, Start a loop , taking the word and address and simply search and replace each instance of this word with your new link

assume that $webpage_text contains data pulled from your data base which contains "I am a chicken farmer"
$word_to_find is used to store words from your list, and $word_link is the webpage address associated with that .

$webpage_text

$link_created="<a href="$word_link."</a>";

$webpage_text = str_replace($word_to_find , $link_created , $webpage_text);

somthing like that,

Appologies for spelling and typos, any vaugness etc and i hope the code is ok, but i quickly typed this off top of my head have to be out door in 10 mins!

if i had more time i would type the whole thing for you. hope this helps.

Talented Monkey 00:57 16 Jan 05

OK heres the code to replace a list of names with thier links within a block of text.

$webpage_text="the is a line of text for the webpage.i love a monkey I love sheep i love horses I love Rabbits";

$replace_links=array("sheep"=>"ww.sheeplink","rabbit"=>"ww.rabbitlink");

foreach($replace_links as $animal=>$newlink){

$newlink="<a href=".$newlink.">".$animal."</a>";
$webpage_text=eregi_replace($animal,$newlink,$webpage_text);

}
echo $webpage_text;

Talented Monkey 01:10 16 Jan 05

opps hit post by mistake

the above is a working model to demonstrate replacement. I used an assositve array in end as this is far more flexible, you can change this into a multiple array and have even more fun with word changes, so every instance of rabbit will provide the link and a new word into an alternative. if you want this ill post it later on Sunday, my brain isnt working too good and im liable to make mistake!! i think the code is self explanitory, if you need help to understand it jsut ask and i will.

AnyWay To change this into a function you will need it changed to be like this.

function llink_creator($webpage_text) {

$replace_links=array("sheep"=>"ww.sheeplink","rabbit"=>"ww.rabbitlink");

foreach($replace_links as $animal=>$newlink){

$newlink="<a href=".$newlink.">".$animal."</a>";

$webpage_text = eregi_replace($animal,$newlink,$webpage_text);

}
return $webpage_text;
}

Charence 18:32 16 Jan 05

I'm going to try this out and see how it goes :o)

Charence

Talented Monkey 21:21 23 Jan 05

...any progress made? i would like to know if you manage this!

thanks

Charence 12:59 24 Jan 05

Sorry about this...currently not much progress. I've had exams last week for my A Levels...you will be delighted to know that I have finished them and will be able to get started on this! :o)

Charence

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…