Making a fan quiet?

robalewis 12:53 31 May 03

I know that most noise from a computer is produced by the fan at the PSU, but I was wondering if there was any way to make it quieter? would greasing it work? I unfortunately cannot afford a new one, so any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Spencus 13:04 31 May 03

Never use grease, and light oil will only last for a short time, the only solution is a quality fan.

Rayuk 13:04 31 May 03

Only way is to replace what you have.

robalewis 13:06 31 May 03

Damn, thought that might be the case. Well, thanks for the quick response guys.

jazzypop 13:07 31 May 03

Please do not try to dismantle your PSU in order to oil your fan. PSUs usually have capacitors that can store a considerable charge, and give you a very nasty shock.

robalewis 14:09 31 May 03

y'ouch!
Thanks for the tip!
Glad I asked here first!

wee eddie 21:01 31 May 03

Come from the fan motor or the blades cutting air.

If the motor - then the very careful application of graphite to the bearings may well solve the problem.

If the blades have become dirty - the leading edge frequently picks up dust - it becomes thicker and therefor noisier - a Cotton bud with a little meths should help - a very fiddly but quite cheap operation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…