MAKING EXTERNAL HARD DISK NTFS FORMAT?

rotormota 17:54 09 Oct 06

My external Maxtor hard disk had become a FAT 32 format & I need it to be NTFS. I've got this far:
1/Copied all my data to another source.
2/Deleted the existing partitions
3/Found the drive in Disk Management.
4/Right clicked on it & proceeded with the New Partition option then bottled out when it started on about primary, logical, unallocated etc.!

Any advice most welcome please.

Regards,
J

EARLR 18:13 09 Oct 06

try this
click here

EARLR 18:14 09 Oct 06

it should have came with a disk.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 09 Oct 06

To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs'
So for example, if you were going to convert your C: drive, you would type 'Convert c: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:16 09 Oct 06

open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd'

rotormota 18:21 09 Oct 06

Thanks but it does not currently have a disk letter. It is named Disk 6 though before partition deletion it was shown as L. Also it does not yet appear in My Computer.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks.
J

Pidder 18:33 09 Oct 06

My new Western Digital external drive manual tells me to visit support.wdc.com and d'load knowledge base article ID# 1053 for Windows 2000 or ID# 1021 for Windows XP. Perhaps this may give you a lead.

rotormota 19:11 09 Oct 06

Thanks folks. It appears that I have done the deed using my Acronis software. It's now NTFS & I'm moving back all of my data.

Thanks again.
J

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…