Making dvd drive region free???

j18psf 01:50 30 Oct 08

Hi I have a Toshiba Satellite M305D laptop running Vista Premium, which was bought in the USA.

I have been trying to play DVDs from Australia aswell as Europe but when I insert the DVDs it displays a message saying that I can change the region of the drive 5 times and then gives me a list of the different regions.

Is there a way of making the drive region free as I believe once you change the drive region 5 times it is unplayable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Paul

ambra4 02:09 30 Oct 08
  FatboySlim71 09:36 30 Oct 08

What I do when I want to watch region 1 dvd's on my computer I use AnyDVD, amongst other things AnyDVD allows any disk that is played to emulate the chosen default region.

For example:

In the Video DVD/settings of AnyDVD you choose the default region, this basically means that as long as AnyDVD is running in the background (its icon will be shown next to the clock at the bottom right of the screen) then any disk that are either played or backed up will be done so with the default region, so if I wanted to play or backup a region 1 dvd and my default region was set on region 2, then this region 1 disk would appear and be played has a region 2 disk. The same would apply if I were backing the disk up as well.

AnyDVD is an excellent program especially if you are careless with DVD's or have kids, has amongst other things it will allow you to make a backup of your DVD's. I wouldn't like to think how much money I spent on new DVD's that my kids had scratched before I got AnyDVD. Its well worth the money!

click here

j18psf 21:57 30 Oct 08

Thats very much for the help! Think Ill get AnyDVD.

Stuartli 00:12 31 Oct 08

>>...wouldn't like to think how much money I spent on new DVDs that my kids had scratched>>

A remarkably tactful way of putting it?

..:-)

eedcam 08:26 31 Oct 08

Region should be scrapped anyway Australia and New Zealand are about to make it compulsory for all dvd players to be supplied Multi region. About time we did something about Fair usage rights

FatboySlim71 09:48 31 Oct 08

I thought the region coding was to stop people from another country/region been able to watch a dvd that had not been released in that region yet?

I thought most films were shown in the USA first and then the rest of the world gets to see them?

Condom 11:13 31 Oct 08

FatboySlim71
Many years ago that was the case but it is not so prevelant now as it used to be. Some world premiers are now held in the UK as well as other cities around the world. I attended one in Bangkok a couple of years ago. I travel a lot and this has always annoyed me so I have my main DVD palyer on my TV chipped to all region.

I used to have this on my PC as well but I haven't bothered with my current players as it is still a risky thing to do if you don't do it 100% correctly.

FatboySlim71 12:40 31 Oct 08

Thanks for the info Condom, I didn't realize that was the case now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…