Making a copy of recovery disk

NotVeryTechie 11:58 29 Apr 08

Hi there

I am almost afraid to ask this, for fear of sounding stupid, but I hope someone will help anyway. I recently bought a new laptop and with it received a recovery disk. It is a DVD and is more than 4GB. I am terrified of losing this disk and so would like to make a copy of all the files and drivers I need in the event of a crash. Should I try to copy the disk (not sure how to do this in Vista), or should I use nLite to make a copy that contains the OS and Drivers, or is Acronis best?

As I understand it Acronis just makes an image and I don't understand how that works. If you have a crash, don't you have to reinstall things rather than just copy them back onto your drive??

Also, what does ISO image mean?

Hope you can help!

Taff™ 14:26 29 Apr 08

ISO image is a standard. click here

I would simply copy the disc by inserting it in your DVD drive and when autorun asks, look for the option to copy the disk using.... It will offer you the installed program on the laptop.

Diemmess 14:32 29 Apr 08

Don't fret about a duplicate recovery disk.

Keep the original recovery disk somewhere cool and dark and hope you will never need it!
It is meant to cope with a system which has accumulated errors and the operating system will no longer work.
It is at best, something which will reset your computer to how it was when you first had it.

Acronis in my opinion, is the answer to most difficulties which may arise during the life of your computer.

Backing up with Acronis is a Wizard-led process, mainly automatic and should be done now, and as often as you like to keep your backup file up to date.

The process locks Windows during the proceedure, (so that the data which would otherwise be constantly changing with every keystroke and click is saved) and using its own compression makes a valid file which can be used to restore everything as it was when the latest backup was made.

The file is large (though smaller than the drive you backed up) and should be kept on a different drive. Ideally a separate HD or better an external HD.
It doesn't affect any other files on that drive, it just sits there until you want it.

Restoration is another automated process, but the whole point is that the image file (Acronis), will overwrite everything on the "target" drive.

That is what you want, to lose all the faulty stuff and have a rewritten drive like it was when you recently backed it up.
The point is that the file for restoration can be kept anywhere except on the drive its backup came from!

sinbads 21:01 29 Apr 08

I second Diemmess choice of backup, Highly recomended here.

Recovery disks will only retore your comp to factory settings, like when you first got it.

Unfortunately it won't recover all your programs data etc.

Acronis will make images of your pc/ programs /doc's and all, and simply restore image that you have made.

Terry Brown 10:05 30 Apr 08

I agree with the backups, however I use Nero 7 (similar system)and do a full drive backup on a weekly basis using the Grandfather, Father, Son system.
i.e.The oldest backup becomes grandfather, which is 'killed (deleted)when the 4th backup is made, the Father becomes Grandfather, and Son becomes Father, the new backup becomes Son.
Terry

Poitier 14:05 30 Apr 08

If your main worry is a backup of drivers there is a small free easy to use program that you can download and use. It is called Windriversbackup(search Google). It will quickly make a backup of all your drivers that you can burn to CD.

NotVeryTechie 14:40 30 Apr 08

Thanks everyone!!

I was worried about the drivers, but will check out Windriversbackup.

I am also worried about the actual copy of Windows Vista. It is obviously an OEM version as it came with the computer and it is my only copy of the software.

I still don't understand the backup thing. If I back up my OS using Acronis, then won't I have to reinstall it? Doesn't installing do other stuff that can't be done just by restoring a copy of the drive?

Diemmess 15:39 30 Apr 08

If you back up (with Acronis) the Windows drive (C:), you will have a file which contains EVERYTHING on that drive including any applications.

If you need to "Restore" a garbled Vista System on C: at some subsequent black day, you will be able to run Vista and anything else that was on the same drive, just as it was when you made the backup file.

Supposing the dread day happens when Vista wont run? You just put the Acronis disk in the slot and boot from that.
Acronis will ask you what you want to do and has a wizard to set out the proceedure.
A few minutes at about 1Gb per minute, a reboot without the CD and all is peace again!

NotVeryTechie 12:56 01 May 08

Thank you!

NotVeryTechie 11:42 02 May 08

I've just been reading up about Acronis a bit more, and I don't understand why you need 3D party DVD burning software? Why doesn't Acronis just burn the DVDs?

Also, had a look on Amazon and the reviews are almost universally bad. I would find the price for this product a bit high and would really not like to spend this money on a product that isn't going to work properly.

Is there any freeware that will create a similar disk image which can be restored in the event of a complete meltdown?

sinbads 14:11 02 May 08

Well i and many forum members sware by acronis never let me down easy to use well worth the cost.

Why not download the FREE trial see for yourself
click here

There are several freeware programs you could use , how reliable they are ? I don't know

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…