Making changes in the registry

sattman 16:45 31 May 04

A had to manualy remove a programme as it had no inbuilt installer.

This has left a small part of the programme in the registry which is giving a invalid
active x/com entry and showing as missing key or invalid path, which it will with no programme

I have located the path showing the link to the deleted programme and the key in the registry value area but I can not delete the value

Each time a reboot the key and the value are restored.

Can someone advise what I am doing wrong ?

Fruit Bat 17:05 31 May 04

click here use a registry clearner like this, Its easier.

Don't forget to back up registry first.

sattman 17:17 31 May 04

If only it were that easy, the reg cleaner (RegSeeker in this case) does the same in this case as a manual delete
ie it finds the problem keys, says it is a problem, allows you to delete, indicates it is deleted.
But as if by magic on a reboot the key is back restored exactly as it was.

So what I want to know is, is this protected or is some othe re value restoring it?

sattman 21:08 31 May 04

perhaps my query is not clear in the problem

It is the value in the right hand box of the registry that need to be removed.

It is this value that is restored each time I reboot.

Graham ® 21:19 31 May 04

Maybe it is a virus, or something 'hiding' in System Restore. Perhaps if you tell us the name of the program, and the registry entries?

woodchip 21:51 31 May 04

You may have an entry for it in System.ini or another file

Dan the Confused 21:52 31 May 04

One way to get rid of it would be to install the program again using Ashampoo Installer from click here and then uninstall it using the program.

(It just says free trial so I'm not sure if it has all features functional.)

sattman 22:05 31 May 04

The programme manually deleted was Micrographics (MGX)

The registry key is for the problem is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\currentVersion\Extension

the value that I need to remove

.drw C:\windows\MGXworks\draw\draw.exe^.drw

I can not simply delete the key as the value contains values for other programmes

woodchip 22:12 31 May 04

Look for Micrographics (MGX) in the registry

To remove follow these step's closely, go to start\find\files or folders type in the box Micrographics (MGX) click enter key delete all the entry's it finds with Micrographics (MGX) in it. Next go to start run type regedit and press enter, go to menu under edit click find in the box type Micrographics (MGX) and press enter it will bring up only one entry at a time, press delete key then click ok to confirm to go to next entry press F3 and delete do this until you get to the end of the registry. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN THE REGISTRY other than Micrographics (MGX) then reboot your computer

sattman 22:29 31 May 04

Woodchip

I am at a loss, I thought that this was all that was required and I am sure that in the past I have on the odd occasion deleted in this way.

For some reason the value re-instates at boot up.

and this is what happens with regseeker.

jonnytub 22:33 31 May 04

temporarily until you reboot to see if this may be the culprit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…