Making a cd-rom version of a 98 boot disk

The Transporter 12:20 18 Aug 03

hi all

Im thinking of getting rid of my floppy, due to the fact that only ever really use it to boot to dos if im going to flash my bios or if im going to use the partition magic boots disks to create my hard drive partitions before i do a fresh install. (which isnt very often)

If i used nero to create a boot iso cd, if i copied the Win 98 floppy boot disk files onto a cd and then burnt them as a boot iso disk. Would it work?

Also the partition magic boot disks are 2 floppies. If i copied both of the contents of two disks to a single cdr and then made that a boot cd, would that work too? I guess it would still prompt me to insert the second disk.

Any suggestions, comments are greatly recieved.

Lozzy 12:29 18 Aug 03

Yes it would so long as you have altered in the Bios the boot sequence to CD Rom as first boot.

pj123 12:33 18 Aug 03

I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. Make sure you change the BIOS to start from CDROM first though. As CDR disks are only about 20p each these days why not try it. The partition magic boot disks, should also be OK. When it asks for disk 2 just click OK. Can't be sure on that though as I don't use partition magic, I use Ranish (free programme) from click here

The Transporter 12:42 18 Aug 03

i tried it.

But... it said it couldn't find the ntldr file.?

So it just booted normally as i had the hard drive as the second option.

Any ideas? or did i just create the disk wrong.

xania 13:54 18 Aug 03

click here
click here for a description of that file. Don't know why you're looking for it though. DO anyt other problems arise? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. If yes, follow guidaance on first of these documents.

jazzypop 13:57 18 Aug 03

click here - full information on how to make bootable recovery / system CDs for all versions of Windows.

Quite a long series of articles, but definitely worth it.

Barrie_G 14:00 18 Aug 03

Keep posting though, I have thought long and often about doing away with my floppy but end up keeping it as its already in the case and doing no harm and incase I ever need to boot from floppy.

The Transporter 20:12 18 Aug 03

when it prompts you to install drivers for raid etc, you have to press F6 for third party drivers and then "S". then it asks for a floppy disk to be placed in the floppy drive to load the files.

I know how i can add these files to a boot disk, but is there the option to choose where these files are in the installation of XP? or can they only be installed from a floppy?

:-)

i read through your links above - im using this page

click here

i have done it so far with the basic files to boot up on and then a folder with Partition Magic boot disks copied onto it. It seems to work, using the 98 boot disk as the source of the boot image data

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…