making a bootable Ubuntu CD

penhit 20:03 16 Feb 10

I'm trying to sort out a computer that has a corrupt XP operating system.
The system disc does not permit repair of the OS -offers to reformat the drive and reinstall the OS.
I'm trying to make a bootable Ubuntu (linux) CD in order to get data off the hard drive before reformatting.
I used InfraRecorder to burn the image to CD - in fact burned to different CDs 3 times - but cannot boot from the CD.
Any recommendations about burning a CD that will boot? Or other techniques for sorting out the problem
Thanks for your help - PC Advisor readers are a reliable source of useful ideas!

baldydave 20:15 16 Feb 10

As Marg7 says make sure you burn as ISO file.
Also burn at the lowest speed possible.
Another free burner to try,
click here

LastChip 21:49 16 Feb 10

If you're still a little vague on how it's done, click here for an article I wrote about fifteen months ago, addressing this very subject.

penhit 22:20 16 Feb 10

Thanks for helpful comments
The problem I've had is burning a working copy of the ISO file.
Wnem I used InfraRecorder it unpacked the files to the CD but I got an error message when booting from it.
I then tried another couple of times to burn it but ended up with CDs that showed as fully written,, but unreadable.
I'll try again but it seems to be more of a problem with the CD burning.

LastChip 23:35 16 Feb 10

If something is unpacking, it's *wrong*, and you will never get a bootable CD.

scotty 09:00 17 Feb 10

Not sure why you are having problem with cd but you could try creating a bootable USB memory stick with Ubuntu. As long as the pc will boot from USB, this is a much faster process than booting from cd.
click here for instructions.

penhit 09:19 17 Feb 10

I've made a Mint bootable CD and am off to try it on the machine in question.
Special thanks to Marg7
The machine is quite old so not sure if it boots from USB... that will be my next move

penhit 10:36 18 Feb 10

Thanks all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…