Making bitmap smaller

Malachor 21:31 30 Jan 06

I need to get a 301k 640x480 image to below 9k in size. It has to be in 16 or 256 bitmap. It would take too long to explain why I need to beable to do it, but I would just like to know how or even if it can be done. (Basically the image needs to fit somewhere tiny)

VoG II 21:34 30 Jan 06

Use IrfanView click here

Malachor 21:41 30 Jan 06

how do i make it smaller in size though? (it has to remain at the same res as mentioned before)

VoG II 21:45 30 Jan 06

Use Image|Resize/Resample

Malachor 21:57 30 Jan 06

only way i can see of doing it is reducing the resolution, which is no good.... ( i might seem a bit thick.... i really don't follow)

VoG II 22:12 30 Jan 06

I think that I must be thick as well as I cannot think of how you could make an image smaller but retain the original resolution.

Perhaps it is time to come clean and tell us exactly what you are trying to do?

Malachor 16:48 31 Jan 06

well i found the box to my motherboard the other day, and it had a load of software i have never even touched. The motherboard is made by epox, and the program was called magic screen, it allows you to use a 640x480 16 /256 bitmap image on startup by writing it to the bios. It has to be really tiny though... 9k. (I have been messing around for it for ages now trying to get it to work, thought it would be nice to have my own photo or something)

Gongoozler 17:01 31 Jan 06

Hi Malachor. If the bitmap image is in .bmp format, then it will be large because every pixel is defined in detail. To make the file smaller, you need to compress it, usually this is done in .jpg format. If you use Irfanview click here to view the picture, select File - Save as. From the drop-down menu select JPG, and reduce the quality slider as far as you can while retaining sufficient image quality.

Gongoozler 17:04 31 Jan 06

Sorry, I missed somthing - 256 colours. In Irfanview, Image - Decrease Color Depth, and select 256 Colors

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…