//some 3rd party need geo

Making a backup

MIKE 21:31 17 Jan 05

A friend of mine needs to update her PC from ME to XP without losing any of her data. I was going to use Ghost to create a backup copy in case the up grade to XP did'nt go to well. I have since discovered she does not have a CD burner in her machine so using ghost is now out of the question. My main question is has any one used an external hard drive via the USB slot to clone the main hard drive.
A/ Do they work
B/ Are they easy to set up
C/ Are there any draw backs to this form of backup.
D/ Any good makes to go for, as it my be usefull for me to use in the future.

TomJerry 21:36 17 Jan 05

I use Acronis True Image 8.0 click here

other tools may be give you the same results, but I only used True Image

MIKE 21:45 17 Jan 05

Thanks TomJerry do you recomend any type of hardware to write too as an extenal piece of kit.

mattyc_92 21:49 17 Jan 05

You could partition the hard-drive and create a "backup" using "ghoct" or "True Image" onto that partition and then if the "active" partition is damaged, then you can just use the backup partition to retore the image it contains onto the "active" partition and problem solved!!!

Dorsai 21:50 17 Jan 05

If the Friend has E-mail, one optoion is for her to email all her important files to herself (or even to you, and you can then foward then back to her).
As long as she does not collect them from the server, they will still be there for when she has upgraded.

She can the upgrade to XP.

She Sets-up XP, including email, and then collects the files, compleat with the important attachements.

An option.

freaky 21:56 17 Jan 05

Following on to TomJerry's response.

Acronis True Image 8 is excellent, in fact I binned Norton Ghost after getting it!

I would recommend the Maxtor One-Touch as an external Hard Drive, but you need USB(2) as well.

USB(1) is too slow for an external drive to work efficiently. However you can add a PCI USB(2) card to your system and connect the external drive to that.

The cheaper option is to buy another internal Hard Drive.

mattyc_92 22:00 17 Jan 05

No... you are wrong... The cheapest thing would to "partition" the hard-drive (tempary thing) and create a "backup" of the system onto that!!!! Once you know that everything has been execpted, then you could delete the partition and put the space back into the O/S partition....

MIKE 22:07 17 Jan 05

Thanks guys for your help much appreciated

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…