make XP legal!

yaesu 20:03 18 May 06

Hi folks, if someone (not me I hasten to add as I've a gen copy of XP home)discovers they've an illegal xp pro setup is it possible to make it legal by purchasing a oem or retail disc, and install it without losing all their files. Apparently, according to them, genuine advantage has just refused to carry out updates.
Regards, yaesu

mammak 20:37 18 May 06

Hi yaesu cant answer your question directly but can say this that with my experince of the "genuine advantage tool" after trying to update at the time my spanking new shiny laptop which I had the discs for it said mines was not genuine I knew it was of course and tried again a few days later and all was well so dont give in yet unless you think it may be duff copy it might just be teething problems. good luck

Ray5776 21:09 18 May 06

If this hyperthetical person had a pirate copy of XP pro they could get it validated and legalised by Microsoft for a one off payment of £92.

Ray5776 21:33 18 May 06

hypothetical

The Spires 22:44 18 May 06

Have a click here

johnem 23:35 18 May 06

Not only can you get it validated and legalised, but Microsoft will also send you a priopoer copy on CD to enbale you to re-install, only on the same machine, should you suffer a hard disk failure. Been there and am just about to carry out the installation. Delivery service from Germany was very good.

woodchip 23:46 18 May 06

Don't think you can get a OEM now you may be looking at £250

GaT7 00:13 19 May 06

woodchip, WinXP Pro OEM from eBuyer for just under £90 click here. The question is whether one has to be a bona fide system builder to purchase one. G

Stuartli 00:25 19 May 06

According to what I have read, if Windows Update is enabled in Security Center, then updates are carried out whether the system has been validated or not.

The reason given for the action, even though the OS may not be legal, was that Microsoft was just as concerned about non-updated Windows or Internet Explorer systems than piracy, although that might seem a bit surprising.

However, one explanation may be that MS believes that those who buy from system builders who are not playing by the rules shouldn't be unfairly penalised.

Diversion 03:06 19 May 06

Try click here for XP Pro OEM

ventanas 08:37 19 May 06

The purchase from the link given by Diversion is illegal.

click here

The facility to purchase OEM with a piece of hardware has been removed. I am looking into this lot who are seemingly still selling it and have passed the link to FAST. Some people never learn.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…