Make pdf files download rather than open on web

phlomis2 14:07 10 Nov 06

I use the standard html code for a web download
a href="click here"> Download /a>

But when it is a pdf file it always want to open it rather than download when clicked (even when the file is 10Mb in size) How do I alter the code to force a download?

Totally-braindead 14:18 10 Nov 06

Usually all you have to do is right click on it and goto save target as....

anskyber 14:22 10 Nov 06

Cannot answer that one but I wonder if it is fixable through Adobe Acrobat, always assuming you use it.
In the reader edit, preferences, internet there is a choice to Allow (or disallow) speculative downloading in the background. It does not sound as if its quite the thing but its worth a look.

Simsy 14:22 10 Nov 06

That you are making the website and you want to force your visitors to download/save it rather than view it in their browser?

If so, I'm not sure you can force that. I think it's a function of the browser setup/user preferences, rather than the site code.

As usual, I'm open to correction!!

Regards,

Simsy

Fingees 14:43 10 Nov 06

I recommend Foxit instead of adobe.

You can certainly download using that.

click here

Totally-braindead 14:47 10 Nov 06

Sorry reading what the others have said I see I've got the wrong end of the stick completely.

phlomis2 14:53 10 Nov 06

Just to re-iterate.

When you normally put a small file on the web using the code in my first email, it will open in Browsers. When you put up a large file the Browser switches to download. However when the file is a pdf one and 10 Mb the browsers still want to open it. I presumably need to add some further code to that in my first email in order to force a download. But what?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…