Make Outlook on laptop read messages on main PC

Pauper 01:26 30 Nov 03

I have just purchased a laptop and connected it to my home network consisting of two main PC's running xp pro plus a third running 98se. Everything is working fine and all systems have 'net excess plus file shares so no problems there.

The two 'main' PC's each have an e-mail account handled through Outlook, what I would like to do is have the laptop be able to see the e-mails on one of the main PC's, or to put it another way, I want my e-mails to go to my PC as before, but would like to view them on the laptop without affecting their download to the main computer.

Is it possible to configure outlook on the laptop to access the original .pst file without taking over the accounts?

Thanks Pauper

DieSse 01:36 30 Nov 03

There's nothing to stop you simply openeing the .pst file from the main PC on your laptop. This will not take it over or import it - simply give you a view into it, as well as the loacl .pst file.

In Outlook2000 - File - Open - .pst file - then browse to the remote file.

Since pst files are not shareable though, you won't be able to write to it from the laptop - not that I would suppose you would want to.

Please note - all this is from my memory of doing it in a very similar setup to yours - I can't actually try it out here, as I don't have such a setup.

Pauper 02:10 30 Nov 03

Thanks DieSse, howvere, when browising to the file it (unsurprisingly) fails to open with the messaage taht it is allraedy in use - by the main pc. looks like this will be a problem with the direct approach. So how about synchronising the .pst file on two pc's? Does DieSse or anyone have any sugestions on that?

Is it possible to have two pc's checking the same e-mail accounts and talk to each other to keep themselves updated?

Pauper 02:12 30 Nov 03

Ohhh........that is embarrassing, hears the above with care taken...

Thanks DieSse, however, when browsing to the file it (unsurprisingly) fails to open with the message that it is already in use - by the main pc. looks like this will be a problem with the direct approach. So how about synchronising the .pst file on two pc's? Does DieSse or anyone have any suggestions on that?
Is it possible to have two pc's checking the same e-mail accounts and talk to each other to keep themselves updated?

powerless 02:16 30 Nov 03

Can you not share the same *.pst file

C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

DieSse 02:18 30 Nov 03

If you give the pst file to be shared a "read-only" sharing permission - will that work?

Otherwise you can't really share Outlook without a mail server, or some alternative to the same.

Such as click here

and look here for several such links click here

Pauper 02:21 30 Nov 03

Nope - no option to share this file is available, so I believe that my only hope is to find a way to make the files on the laptop and pc synchronise, if possible :-(

Pauper 02:24 30 Nov 03

DieSse, looking into your links, thanks.

powerless 02:29 30 Nov 03

I mean tell Outlook to look at the other computers store folder for the pst file.

DieSse 02:36 30 Nov 03

Instead of simply browsing to the pst file - try mapping it as a network drive - then you can give it a read only permission, I think. Then try to open the mapped drive in Outlook.

Pauper 02:40 30 Nov 03

Hmmm, had to think about that for a while Powerless, will give it a go in the morning (later!), but I think it will still blow me out as the file needs to be in use by two pc's at the same time.

I am beginning to think I am talking myself out of making this work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…