Make my PC quieter

silverous 16:01 07 Feb 07

Hi,

My PC has probably 6 fans in it (one isn't in use) and I'd like to look into making it quieter - particularly the fan attached to the PSU which has been making noise of late. I'm not sure where to start and don't want to burn the house down!

From memory (i'm not in front of it) I have:

- PSU fan
- Heatsink + Fan on CPU
- Fan on another chip (Northbridge?)
- Graphics card FAN
- Case FAN
- Another case fan (not in use)

Needless to say, it sounds like an aircraft taking off. How can I make it cool and quiet?

Thanks,

Paul

Press Man 16:11 07 Feb 07

Go click here may help.

sean-278262 16:11 07 Feb 07

What parts are they. Celeron processors will need different fans to the latest dual core ones. However to shut things up just replace all the noisy parts with quieter versions.

A processor cooler will be about £20 - 30, PSU something about £40 for a good one maybe more if you need higher wattage. Case fans can be quite cheap, usually about £5 each for quiet ones. Graphics cards usually unless they are high powered are quite quiet.

The fan on another chip may be for onboard graphics most likely and can usually be turned off if you have external graphics. These usually are turned off on a switch on the motherboard.

However for more specific advice we really need to know what we are trying to cool.

citadel 17:44 07 Feb 07

psu makes most noise, if it came with the pc it is probably a cheap one. a quality silent psu is the best way to reduce noise, read reviews to find one to suit.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…