Make more System Restore points

TommyRed 12:45 10 Apr 04

After a RAMdisk install I lost all my restore points so I uninstalled it. I eventually got system restore/system checkpoints working again, but don't seem to have as many as I used to. Checking today I have the last 5 days whereas I'm sure I used to have at least 2 weeks. I've been to 'system restore' under 'system properties' and it is set to max 9157MB. Is there a way to configure it further? My OS is XP home and I have 60.8GB of free space. TR

ade.h 14:29 10 Apr 04

I don't think it's possible to configure Sys Restore apart from the disk space and which drives you want it to monitor, but 5 days' worth should probably be enough anyway. Keep an eye on it to see if it keeps the current restore points over the next few days plus adding new ones, or just sticks with 5 days' worth.

stalion 14:46 10 Apr 04

Click Start.Programmes,Accessories,System Restore,Tools,System Restore and you can create your own restore points.Hope this helps.Regards

hugh-265156 15:12 10 Apr 04
  slightlymad 15:16 10 Apr 04

Hi TommyRed - click here for a neat utility which will create a restore point with a single click, and/or run every time Windows boots up.

This article about reducing System Restore's disk space usage should also be of interest click here.

slightlymad 15:21 10 Apr 04

Sorry - scroll right down to the end of the page of the second link to check out the article.

TommyRed 17:15 10 Apr 04

slightlymad, read the article and fred langa seems to get a couple of weeks worth of restore points with the minimum disk space usage, whereas I had my slider set to max but was only getting 5 days worth, wierd or what. Anyways, I've reduced it to minimum and I'll just look over at it every few days and see if it's improved. Didn't fancy the utility, but we'll wait and see if the first fix works, thanks.
huggy71, didn't fancy messing about in the registry unless it's unavoidable, so I'll try the above fix first, cheers to everyone that replied. TR

hugh-265156 18:09 10 Apr 04

if its any use.

2% disk space for SR of a 40gig drive gives me about 3 weeks and will at this moment take me back to 16th march if i want.

TommyRed 18:39 10 Apr 04

I've now set mine at 1% of 80Gb drive, but that RAMdisk caused all this. Wish I'd never tried it now. TR

VoG II 18:47 10 Apr 04

I sympathise. I had exactly the same. Only 5 points available at any time with the max setting on a 40 GB drive. I'm not sure quite what I did (apart from turning it off and on again, rebooting in between, a few times). Anyway I now have daily restore points back to March 11.

hugh-265156 18:48 10 Apr 04

do you constantly run any cpu intensive programs like [email protected] etc?

as as far as i know if the cpu is never at idle then system restore will not make any restore points.

"System Restore requires the machine to be in an idle state to create system check points. This is by design so that System Restore never intrudes when the user is using the machine by taking processing power to create a system checkpoint. Hence, if system restore never sees any idle time on the machine, it will not be able to create System Checkpoints" from click here

also check task scheduler is set to auto in services.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…