Make laptop wireless?

24bitkid 22:40 29 Nov 05

I have a Compaq laptop running XP but it is not equipped with wireless connectivity.

I know what is required to make the PC receive a wireless signal but what is the cheapest way to may my laptop wireless. I have 2X USB 1 ports.

Any products come to mind?

Thanks.

Forum Editor 22:58 29 Nov 05

use a PCMCIA wireless network adapter. There are many models on the market - I use a Belkin MIMO myself.

mgmcc 08:52 30 Nov 05

As your ports are USB 1.1, which supports data transfer at only 12Mbps, this would restrict the performance of an 802.11g USB Wireless Adapter, with its speed of up to 54Mbps.

Go with the FE's suggestion of using PCMCIA instead, unless you want the facility to be able to swap the adapter between laptop and desktop PCs.

Taff™ 16:12 30 Nov 05

I have a Compaq Evo N1015V and I use an ordinary PCMCIA card (Not MIMO)as FE suggested (£22) I also use a D-Link USB Wireless adapter on occasions - can`t say I notice any difference between the two but I`m sure mgmcc knows what he`s talking about!

Taff™ 16:12 30 Nov 05

I have a Compaq Evo N1015V and I use an ordinary PCMCIA card (Not MIMO)as FE suggested (£22) I also use a D-Link USB Wireless adapter on occasions - can`t say I notice any difference between the two but I`m sure mgmcc knows what he`s talking about!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017