Make an email address copyable?

Graham* 11:00 AM 26 Oct 11

One of the ladies I run charity websites for asks if I will make the email address 'clickable'. I told her that was not a good idea because spam robots would find it in no time.

I came across a site where if you right-click on the 'phishing' address it gives the option to copy. Is this easy for me to do?

Batch 16:22 PM 26 Oct 11

Not sure what you mean by "if you right-click on the 'phishing' address it gives the option to copy".

I developed a website about 10 years ago and was concerned about the webcrawlers issue. To overcome this, using Javascript, I created two arrays and split all of the email addresses into two parts, with the first part of each address in one array and the second part in the other array (i.e. first address was split across element 1 of the first array and element 1 of the second array, second address was split across element 2 of the first array and element 2 of the second array and so on).

Then on clicking the relevant part of the webpage, Javascript was invoked that reassembled the two parts which were automatically handed over to the mail client.

That way webcrawlers would not discern from the HTML that there were any email addresses there.

These days more sophisticated database oriented techniques are commonly used. But that is another ball game.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…