Make a backup copy of vista OS dvd

terryf 02:13 18 Mar 07

Is it possible to make a backup copy of a vista os dvd?

phono 02:17 18 Mar 07

I'm sure it's possible, but is it legal as far as MS are concerned?

terryf 02:58 18 Mar 07

Can't find anything on MS sites

skidzy 10:07 18 Mar 07

Terryf,i too am unsure if its legal and unsure if anyone can advise here how to do so (forum rules).

I believe Vista is copyright protected,but maybe using Vista's own dvd creator (making exact copies of disc) may do the job.But i reckon it will boot you out saying its illegal.

Sorry not a direct answer to your question as i reckon this subject may get a bit touchy within the rules.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:47 18 Mar 07

Copying the DVD is not illegal as you are paying for the license to run Vista on only one machine unless you buy a corporate license.

Make a backup copy of the DVD and also kkep a copy of the license number.

It is illegal of course to pass this on to someone else.

Joe R 10:54 18 Mar 07

terryf,

this utility should copy it for you.

click here

Spark6 11:06 18 Mar 07

As it has been acceptable practice to streamline XP I would suggest the same would apply to Vista.

birdface 11:16 18 Mar 07

Hi,If you are going to use that site of Joe Rs,Check it out with your Anti-virus before you install it,Red mark from McAfee Site Advisor.

MAJ 11:20 18 Mar 07

It seems to be okay, buteman, but it requires that you also install Pando click here else some functions will be unavailable.

terryf 11:31 18 Mar 07

Thanks for comments, I do not propose to do anything illegal but would like to keep an off-site backup and licence key with my other data 'just in case'. I would use Nero to do the copy but wonder if M'soft have put some ' uncopy-able' files on there. I would need to keep the dvd on-site for things like sfc

terryf 11:48 18 Mar 07

Just looked up the License Terms for Software Licensed from Microsoft and it says that you are allowed to make one backup copy of the media. So that solves that query. Can anyone confirm that I can do the backup with Nero please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…