Major XP bootup problem (or lack of it)

fitshase 21:26 04 Jun 03

I decided, in all my wisdom, to customise XP a bit. I thought that a new bootup screen would be a change from the norm and would look good.

However, I followed the instructions given on the website click here and I am in a pickle.

Now Windows XP starts to boot with the new screen showing and then, just before the login screen appears, the computer restarts.

I cannot get to a DOS prompt to restore the original file. I cannot get access to my machine in any way. I have tried last known good configuration and the same thing happens. I have tried safe mode and the same thing happens. I am at a loss as to what to do now. Is there some sort of boot disk I can download to take me to a DOS like prompt?

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards

Fitshase

p.s., sorry about any delay in replying, I am at my girlfriend's house using their computer on a 56k dial up so cannot stay online for long.

The Spires 21:32 04 Jun 03

It looks like 'boot.ini' is messed up. Your best bet in my opinion is to do a repair, the only problem with this option is loosing your XP Updates, around 25 Meg at the moment from SP1 on just the critical ones. Everything else should be as before when completed.

Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive (Boot from CD). Insert your Windows XP CD (Your XP Licence key will be required at some point), restart the computer. When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen.

Do NOT choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console. In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

otubby1 21:42 04 Jun 03

I'm surprised at you! Only last week someone asked how to do this and were told, but they were also warned that it could screw things up if things weren't done to the letter.

I had downloaded some stuff to do just this but my bottle went when I read the thread.

Hope you get things sorted out in good time.

The Spires 21:43 04 Jun 03

Thinking on, using the above should enable you to get to a command prompt via the 'Recovery Console' you may be able to replace your boot.ini from there.

fitshase 23:33 04 Jun 03

I have borrowed the girlfriends laptop and am running on the wireless network next to my poorly computer.

I am trying the repair option as the Recovery Console let me to a DOS style prompt but I couldn't access any other directories apart from Windows (the backup of the file in question is in My Documents).

The repair option is now 5% done so fingers crossed. I will keep you posted.

Regards

Fitshase

*now regretting trying to make the computer interesting and I have learnt my lesson!*

fitshase 23:46 04 Jun 03

Well, the correct startup/bootup screen appears when I try to load Windows but then I get:-

MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE-REQUESTS on blue screen of death on startup.

I am going to try safe mode.

Anyone invented a time machine that I can borrow?

Regards

Fitshase

The Spires 23:52 04 Jun 03

Oh dear, let us know how it develops..

fitshase 00:03 05 Jun 03

The safe mode came up saying that Windows XP setup could not run in safe mode and will restart.

I restarted and got the blue screen of death error message again.

The MS knowledge base only has this down for Windows 2000 and is less that useful click here

I am now running the setup again to see if it will do anything (fingers, toes, legs, arms, eyes and hair are all crossed in hope!).

I'll keep you posted. I just hope that there is some way to salvage my files! I made a backup of My Documents onto CD 2 days ago but there are 2 other users on this system and their files are not backed up. They are going to give me a good slapping tomorrow if I cannot fix this!

Regards

Fitshase

The Spires 00:08 05 Jun 03

That was the only info I could find on the knowledge base on the subject, from other bits on the net have you tried disconnecting all other devices before boot.

fitshase 00:12 05 Jun 03

I get the blue screen again!

I have tried to repair the connection using the recovery console with no joy and also tried to repair installtion. Now I cannot get into safe mode because setup is trying to run.

I have tried last known good configuration and I am still no further forward (get the blue screen again). Why won't setup just let me into safe mode and let me get my files?

I don't think that copying the old file back will help because the problem bootup screen is now not there. I will hopefully be able to try though.

The words of a certain creek and paddle come to mind!

Fitshase

fitshase 00:14 05 Jun 03

Disconnect things like what?

USB devices (I need the mouse and keyboard)

Network cable?

Parallel Printer?

regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…