Major Windows Startup Error

lee_robinson1983 08:29 29 Dec 06

Hi all,

Yesterday I was playing a game on my desktop when it froze, the mouse pointer still moved but the game itself had completely frozen and there was no longer any sound, after a couple of minutes hoping it would unfreeze I tried to bring up windows start menu using the windows key, this only managed to bring up the bottom bar of windows only, I then tried to bring up the task manager, again to no avail. I decided to turn the pc off on the tower by holding down the power button, I have done this before in similar circumstances and it has been ok.

Anyway, I then rebooted my PC and everything seemed fine until it tried to show the Windows loading screen, the screen just went black and after a few minutes the following error message came up:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt
Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please re-install a copy of the above file

Does this mean I need to do a windows repair or re-install?

Any ideas people? Thanks

VoG II 08:39 29 Dec 06
  lee_robinson1983 09:01 29 Dec 06

Thanks VoG.

Do you know if any particular method is best? I was looking at using method 3 as this has words in the prompting relating to my error message

VoG II 09:05 29 Dec 06

I don't actually know but method 3 looks the best, I agree.

lee_robinson1983 12:42 01 Jan 07

Hi, since the above posts, I was going to do a windows repair but my computer started ok, since then however I encountered a few problems. The pc now either, works fine, works for a bit and then just freezes, no matter what I'm doing and I can't get a response from anything or it gets stuck on the windows start up screen. Is this possibly related to my original problem or is it something else?

If it is could someone tell me how to find the administrator password for my pc, when doing a repair, I thought it was just my log in password but it wasn't. My PC is a home PC so I'm not on a server or anything.

thms 12:57 01 Jan 07

Go to run and type sfc /scannow (note the space between c&/). you will need your xp disc.

This will re-install any missing or corrupt files.

lee_robinson1983 16:23 01 Jan 07

thanks thms but I have since done this and had it freeze on me twice and not start up as well. Any other suggestions anyone?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:26 01 Jan 07

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

lee_robinson1983 08:54 04 Jan 07

Hi all,

have since checked all of the above possibilities (thanks fruit bat) but still get a lot of problems. Now my pc only seems to get past the windows loading screen when I actually have the windows CD in the drive, I don't actually do anything but just having the cd in seems to work??

Going back to a previous post though, I still didn't manage to do any of the methods suggested in VoG's link, does anyone know where I can find my administrator password to enable me to carry out the repair?

Or any other suggestions?

Thanks

lee_robinson1983 08:59 04 Jan 07

sorry forgot to say all the things fruit bat suggested turned out ok

skidzy 09:02 04 Jan 07

click here

If you never set up a password,leave blank and enter.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…