Major Thunderbird crash

kimtrnc 05:09 AM 24 Feb 12

My system had a a major crash this week. Not yet found out why. Most programs seem to be running ok and I have managed to reinstall the latest version of Thunderbird (mind you, I didn't ask for it, but it arrived anyway!)

However, I am not able to get anything in or out for several days now. Delving into the background, I found that the sytem is now using IMAP, although I have always used a POP.

Sure I must have done something silly, but quite desperate without my email. Can anyone help, please?

northumbria61 08:04 AM 24 Feb 12

If your settings are correct for sending/receiving from Thunderbird it may be a Firewall problem -

Verify that your firewall or antivirus program is not blocking Thunderbird. With a classic firewall its simply a question of whether or not you have a rule that states the application is allowed to connect to the Internet, and does the rule know about the current version of the Thunderbird executable

kimtrnc 08:32 AM 24 Feb 12

I don't have a firewall. I AM able to view my emails directly in gmail, but I really prefer to have it down/uploaded from my Thunderbird. Whilst all this was driving me mad, Thunderbird decided that I MUST have the newest version and downloaded it anyway.

I STILL can't access my in/out mail via Thunderbird. I THINK the problem may be in the settings, but I can't see how to correct this. Thanks for your interest

Miké 09:43 AM 24 Feb 12

Go to Tools/Account Settings and at the bottom of the screen there is a 'Account Actions' button. Click on 'Add Mail Account' this will start a wizard, during which there is a option to select IMAP or POP.

Once you have got the Pop settings correct delete the IMAP accounts!

kimtrnc 12:25 PM 24 Feb 12

Thankyou Mik e, that sorted it. Still don't know what exactly happened. I am quite bereft without my email!

PS Sorry - don't know how to get a proper font for your name!!)

john bunyan 12:32 PM 24 Feb 12

Re Accent:In W7: Start/All programmes/Accessories/System Tools/Character map. You could put a shortcut on desktop.

natdoor 16:56 PM 24 Feb 12

Or you could copy and paste the name.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…