Major Problems in Windows XP

bubbles2 13:06 26 Feb 04

I have an Advent 3208 PC World computer which during installing XP updates suffered from a power failure.The updates were not installed and the computer is now failing to restart.I am getting the following message : windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system.

I cannot find my recovery cd`s after searching high and low but have ordered replacement copies which will take a week to arrive.Is there any way I can get my system up and running without these cd`s or do I just have to wait.

I am very limited in my technical ability so simple solutions would be appreciated.

jim1947 13:12 26 Feb 04

Try a system restore to a date prior to the downloads.

©®@$? 13:15 26 Feb 04

he wont be able to do a system restore as he will not be able to get into xp

To fix the "windows\system32\config\system file is mising or corrupt"
where Xp wont boot:

Go to Recovery Console and type:

cd system32\config

ren system system.old

ren system.alt systemalt.old

copy c:\windows\repair\system

copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system

exit

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
Starting click here

bubbles2 13:20 26 Feb 04

I cannot actually get the computer started so can`t do a system restore.I have tried using a recovery disc from my brothers slightly earlier pc as advised by PC World but all I get is the message above about the missing file.

bubbles2 13:25 26 Feb 04

I know this might sound like a really simple question but how do I get into the recovery console.

©®@$? 13:38 26 Feb 04

To get to the recovery console you need to start the XP installation process
and then on one of the first screens select R for recovery console. This
will just boot you to a command prompt

but it seems you don't have an xp cd

bubbles2 16:29 26 Feb 04

I can get a system recovery disc which will enable me to start the installation process but as it is from an older pc it doesn`t have everything I need on it.
I will try again following the advice above and see how I get on.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…