Major problem with Win XP

donki 01:44 13 Jun 08

Hi guys I need some serious help.

My computer froze about 3 hours ago so I shut off and left for a few minutes and turned back on. When it booted up all my desktop icons had changed and my desktop wallpaper had disappeared. my start/tool bar which I usually have up the right of my screen was restored to the bottom and the XP theme had changed.

Further investigation showed a major problem, none of my start up programs had loaded. When I started up IE it was like I had never used it, asking me to customise etc. When I went into my docs nothing was there. However when i go into the C: drive everthing is there and in MS config all the start up programs are there and ticked.

I have ran virus and anti virus in safe mode and nothing. I backed everything up to ext HD and attempted recovery to reset to factory setting and it said I couldnt as windows install was corrupt. When I try to run some programs I get a (0x80004005) The application was unable to initialize the global options manager. Your computer may be out of memory or disk is full. I have loads of space left.

Can anyone help or am I going to have to purchase another XP or worse Vista lol.

Any help will be much appreciated.

sunny staines 02:48 13 Jun 08

have you tried system restore.

or go to run and type SFC /SCANNOW with windows cd in the tray that will repair missing/corrupt dll files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac