major problem with NTL broadband and e bay

wobblymike 22:37 02 Feb 06

a friend has a USB broadband set up connected to NTL it works fine except for e bay - when we locate an item and try to view it we get a file download icon come up or a page full of rubbish.
We have changed everything including the PC complete with no joy and have established by substitution that it must be something to do with NTL. Does anyone have any knowledge of this problem.
Also his broadband icon indicates a 2.2 Mb connection while a speed check indicates a 1 MB connection. NTL say he has a 1 MB connection so why does the icon say 2.2
Finally should the broadband usb modem show up in the dial up box in Internet properties

beynac 22:44 02 Feb 06

See this previous thread.
click here

wobblymike 22:56 02 Feb 06

beynac
fascinating thank you

any other thoughts

octal 07:01 03 Feb 06

Its seems to be a problem in the Bromley area, they have been suggesting people change their proxy server click here

I use the NTL Waltham Park server in east London and don't have any problem with Ebay.

beynac 07:20 03 Feb 06

"fascinating"? I didn't think that it was fascinating - I thought it gave you the answer to your problem. If you read all of the thread on ntl:hell ( click here ) that I gave the link to, it is clear that it is a problem with some of the ntl servers, but appears to happen when the proxy is automatically allocated. The advice given on ntl:hell worked for 'kjrider'. The latest posting, from an ntl employee, says that ntl and ebay are working on the problem

octal: Yes, the Bromley server seems to be the main culprit.

wobblymike 22:17 03 Feb 06

beynac
Yes sir you most certainly have fixed it for me - this evening I manually entered a new proxy address and the problem is resolved - thanks a lot

beynac 07:35 04 Feb 06

Glad it worked. Let's hope they get the problem sorted out soon!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…