major problem with a hard drive

kaijuu 15:44 16 Apr 09

i recently had to format my hard drive due to a serious virus problem but i now have a huge problem my 700gig hard drive is now showing as only 120 gig this was before i even put windows back on i have not partitioned the drive but its still showing uup as a fraction of my total hard drive size any idea why

any help would be greatly apperciated

xania 15:49 16 Apr 09

Can you tell us how you saw the size of the HHD. Have you tried checking it with a partition manager and/or on another PC? Also, can you give more details of the virus problem, and the manufacturer, type and age of the drive.

kaijuu 19:27 16 Apr 09

i cant tell me the make off hand but whist it was in the computer previously it was a 700gig hard drive

had to format coz a virus changed the registory info and we didnt have the admin password due to it being second hand, so we had to format the system but when we came to install windows on to the set partions it only showed that there was 120 gig avalible.

drives about 2-3 years old never had a problem with it till now

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:48 16 Apr 09

Assuming this is an old version of XP pre SP2 then this is normal behaviour and you will see the whole drive when you install the sp3 update (sp3 contains sp2).

or in the meantime you could edit the registry
In Windows, click on Start->Run, enter "regedit".
# Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Parameters registry subkey.
# From the Edit menu, select New, DWORD Value.
# Enter the name EnableBigLba, then press Enter.
# Double-click the new value, set it to 1, then click OK.
# Close the registry editor.
# Restart the machine for the change to take effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac