major pc problem

potfrog1 23:18 15 Feb 05

can anyone give me any advice with my childs pc?. she was loading a game the other day but turned it of from the mains by accident during loading.when i tried to reboot i got nothing (blank screen)not even the coice of going into bios.since then i have managed to get it to bootup where it reads all the drives etc but when its done all that i just get a black screen with a flashing cursor (not command promt)any ideas please?

joethebow 23:30 15 Feb 05

I think, somehow she's corrupted the boot sequence of the HDD or the BIOS.

Two things to try.

1. As the PC starts up keep pressing DEL untill the BIOS screen appears then load optimal settings. If the Bios screen does not appear the BIOS is corrupted and you may need a new motherboard. Some PC's use another key to access the BIOS but it is usually DEL.

2. Start up the PC with a Boot Disc.

If neither of these work perhaps some of the other guys will have a few ideas.

potfrog1 23:36 15 Feb 05

i can now get into bios and laoded all default setting but still black screen @ startup.

woodchip 23:39 15 Feb 05

If it's a Windows98 Computer Start The computer with a Windows Startup Floppy rescue disc from click here tenth file down save the file to Hard Disc, then create a boot floppy by putting a floppy disc in comp and double click the downloded file. Now start with Floppy disc, and at a:\> type SCANREG /RESTORE so it looks like this

a:\>SCANREG /RESTORE press enter key. now choose a date before you tried to load the game and retore. it should then start as normal

.exe 23:42 15 Feb 05

plug the screen in, and switch it on

potfrog1 23:43 15 Feb 05

ive tried booting from floppy . i can hear it running but i still get nothing on the screen?apart from the flashing curser.(not command prompt)

potfrog1 23:45 15 Feb 05

lol @exe ime stupid but not thick.lol

woodchip 23:46 15 Feb 05

Then you have done something no nice

woodchip 23:47 15 Feb 05

PS is the BIOS set to boot from Floppy check it

VoG II 23:48 15 Feb 05

First you need to enter the BIOS. This normally means pressing a key, or combination of keys, immediately after switch-on. A message to this effect usually flashes up on the screen when you switch on, such as "To enter setup press Del". Other common BIOS codes are listed at click here.

When the BIOS screen appears you will see a set of menu options. Look for one labelled Boot or Startup and select the item Boot Order, or First Boot; this will be set to HD0, HD1 or the serial number of your hard disk drive.

Change the setting to read CD, CD-Rom or the serial number of your CD/DVD-Rom drive, Save the Change and Exit the BIOS. Open the CD-Rom drive, insert your XP disk and restart your computer.

You will now see a screen message saying "Press any key to boot from CD", press the spacebar and a message appears informing you that "Set-up is inspecting your hardware configuration". This will be replaced by a blue screen, press Enter and you should see a "Welcome to Setup" menu, press Esc to continue; important, do not press R for Repair as this will start the Recovery Console.

The Windows Licence Agreement will now be displayed. Press F8 to signify acceptance and the next screen will list your operating system (usually just Windows XP). Select it and proceed to the next screen, which will have the option "To Repair the Selected Windows installation press R". Hit the R key and the installation begins.

Windows Set-up will now go through what looks like a normal installation routine so be ready to respond to the prompts. When Set-up has finished, after a couple of restarts you should see your original desktop with all your shortcuts applications and programs.

You will need to go to the Windows Update site to get all of the critical patches.

VoG II 23:51 15 Feb 05

Or you need the floppies click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…