Major MS Office Problems! (generated errors etc.)

Ben Avery 14:19 24 Jun 03

G'day

It's not been my day today I fear!

Ok, I've installed MS Office on my notebook and it won't run. I did have it on before and it seemed to work ok, but uninstalled and reinstalled after getting this problem.

I open up Word and the blank page opens. As soon as I click on the menu's at the top, or try to do anything on it I get the error message:

"Program Error

WINWORD.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program.

An error log Is being created."

Upon restarting, you get the same problem.

I tried uninstalling and installing a different version of office but it caused the same errors. In the end I have installed 3 different versions of office (2k Pro, 2K Premium and XP) and all three cause the same errors.

How can I fix this???

BA

JoeC 14:22 24 Jun 03

searching for normal.dot and renaming it to normal.old then rebooting. That sometimes works.

Ben Avery 14:27 24 Jun 03

It's not just MS Word it seems to be affecting all of office.

I just tried to open Excel and got about 3 menu's into it before the same thing happened but replacing winword.exe to excel.exe

It's the whole of office which won't work properly!

BA

JoeC 14:29 24 Jun 03

"WINWORD.exe has generated errors" into Google, it comes back with many possibilities.

Big Elf 14:31 24 Jun 03

Can you track down the error log and get a clue from that?

Are any other programs affected? It could be a hardware fault although I've no idea what.

Ben Avery 14:38 24 Jun 03

I opened a PowerPoint presentation and viewed the show without any trouble at all. Howver, Word and Excel both generate problems.

One thing I have noticed is that there is no file on the whole PC named normal.dot!

Why could that be after a fresh install?

BA

Big Elf 14:44 24 Jun 03

The 'normal.dot' is normally a hidden file and you need to set your search parameters in the more advanced options to search system and hidden files.

Ben Avery 14:46 24 Jun 03

found normal.dot (didn't show up on I search as I belive hidden folders are missed out and the "Application Data" folder is hidden usually.

Wiped the file and restarted Word so it would create a new one. It took longer to load (as expected) but even after making a new normal.dot, it still caused the same errors.

I'm puzzled!

BA

Megatyte 15:16 24 Jun 03

Put your office CD in and right click - Explore. Run setup.exe and select Repair.

AH

spikeychris 16:45 24 Jun 03

Ben do you have a network printer installed?

Chris

Ben Avery 16:52 24 Jun 03

Yes I do, at home but I'm at work at the mo.

Is that the cause of the errors???

BA

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…