//some 3rd party need geo

Major Laptop Problem

laurieballard 15:29 11 Aug 04

I have an RM laptop the specs are the bottom of the thread. The laptop has a few problems the first is that sometimes it refuses to even turn on and the lights come on but it doesnt turn on and with no noise or screen picture. the second is that when you do manage to finally get it on it tests the memory as usuall and doesnt go any further it just says wait. When you go into the bios after this happens to try and detect the disks the cdrom comes up but the hard drive says '
Not Installed' even though it is. Finally when you do manage to get it to boot into windows it usually turns itself off. i think the hard and floppy(when you try and access the floppy the laptop turns off) drives are causing this error just wanted someone elses opinion.

thanks

laurie

specs of laptop

266MHz CPU
32Mb Ram
4GB Hard Drive
CDROM (that is very noisey)
FLOPPY (that doesnt work)
12" Screen

spanneress 16:11 11 Aug 04

I doesn't sound too good I'm afraid. Sounds to me like your motherboard may well be causing some problems, some of the symptoms you describe indicate that. Also, if it is the motherboard or the harddrive, the cost to replace and / or repair are going to far outweigh the financial worth of the laptop. What operating system are you running? Do you have the CD? If you cannot access the harddrive or floppy drive and are running 2k or XP you may be able to set the laptop to boot from CD and run a repair or format and re-install. But I am not convinced this will work.

HTH

spanneress 16:12 11 Aug 04

Take that back..you won't be running either of those two operating systems on 32Mb Ram..... is it 95 or 98?

laurieballard 16:34 11 Aug 04

it is windows 98

so what could the prob be

cheers

laurie

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:54 11 Aug 04

Hard disk tools :-
Seatools click here

first won't switch on could be bios lost try changing CMOS battery (cheeap option)

Starts but won't find hard drive try (free)seatools tocheck / repair harddisk

laurieballard 15:15 06 Oct 04

have removed the hard drive and then turned it on. The laptop booted fine first time but said the hard drive wasnt there. can i put the laptop hard drive in my desktop and format it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…