Major help needed please!

lee_robinson1983 13:39 03 Sep 07

Hi all, I've had my PC about a year and a half now and have some big problems:

The screen is full of green/purple patches of pixels that expand when you scroll down on anything, I have tried anothe monitor on my pc and it's the same result so I think it's something to do with the graphics card.

My PC sometimes fails to boot up, the 'busy' LED light stays on and doesn't flicker. Also the PC will restart itself sometimes, this has happened more recently when I've tried to run Windows Media Player. I have one game installed and sometimes my PC fails to load a saved game whereas other times it can... could all this relate to a hard drive problem?

I'm also not too sure if my PSU is to blame? I had to get it replaced (when my warrantee was valid) but I'm not sure if a less powerful PSU had been put in? Could a low Watt PSU cause problems like the above? or is it a case of graphics card and hard drive issues?

Spec: Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe MB, 2Gb Ram, 7800Gtx Graphics Card, 320Gb Hard Drive. I have the PSU details at home.

Please can anyone suggest anything as I'm seriously considering taking it to an independant PC doctor or something as I'm not enjoying using it at all at the moment and feel like I wasted a lot of money.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:42 03 Sep 07

The screen is full of green/purple patches of pixels that expand when you scroll down on anything, I have tried anothe monitor on my pc and it's the same result so I think it's something to do with the graphics card.

Uninstall and reinstall the graphigs drivers (get the latest driver if you can).

My PC sometimes fails to boot up, the 'busy' LED light stays on and doesn't flicker. Also the PC will restart itself sometimes, this has happened more recently when I've tried to run Windows Media Player. I have one game installed and sometimes my PC fails to load a saved game whereas other times it can... could all this relate to a hard drive problem?

Download thw HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run them to check the drive.

wee eddie 13:54 03 Sep 07

What Security Software are you running?

lee_robinson1983 13:56 03 Sep 07

Using Avast antivirus, Adaware Spyware and windows firewall

lee_robinson1983 10:54 21 Sep 07

Hello,

I posted this a while ago but have had some problems since...

My PC was up and running when it suddenly crashed and rebooted itself, during the reboot it attempted to run a chkdsk and during the 2nd phase of this it was correcting errors and then all of a sudden rebooted again. Now when I try and boot my PC up it deosn't go to the usual XP log on screen where I click on my name and enter my password. It instead goes to a log on window (like you have on a work computer) asking for a username and password, I tried my name and my password but it is saying it is an incorrect log on. Any ideas people? Thanks

wee eddie 11:37 21 Sep 07

Does anyone else use the PC?

I assume that your AV and Adaware are up-to-date and run regularly. It might be worthwhile adding Spybot S&D to your armoury.

How long since you last did a Disk Clean-up and Defragmented?

Are you able to remove the Graphics Card and return to On-Board Graphics?

lee_robinson1983 13:14 21 Sep 07

Wee Eddie

Noone else uses the pc but I don't know how to log on as administrator.

Yes my AV and adaware are updated and usually ran weekly, I last did a disk check and defrag a couple of weeks ago.

I'm not sure if I have onboard graphics or not, it was a custom build.

Thanks

wee eddie 14:06 21 Sep 07

Have you ever had the covers off and cleaned the insides?. Is the PC in a position that cool air flows freely around it?

This will help you know what is inside but at the moment the knowledge is not going to help, I don't think. click here

Run it anyway. I think that you'll find it interesting.

Do you know how many watts your PSU can deliver?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced