major fault with new pc

howard60 13:54 01 Nov 04

Just built myself a new pc - seemed to be working ok - formatted hard drive and installed xp pro all still ok then put on sp2 from the pc advisor disk. Now the screen goes black and a message comes up that the video card has changed from hardware rendering to software rendering and not long after this the pc crashes. I replaced the video card with a known good one but the same thing happens. This is either a components incompatibility, a rogue setting within the bios or more likely a faulty strip of memory/faulty motherboard. The mobo is a Foxconn 600A01 with an AMD XP 3000 with 512MB of memory. The video card is an ATI Radeon 9200SE with 128MB. Any suggestions would be appreciated I have reduced the hardware acceleration on the video card. I know I can return the components for replacement but if it is a setting I need to change this would be the simplest thing to do. Thanks in advance. Removed sp2 upgrade but still the same.

inneedofhelp 14:46 01 Nov 04

try in the bios to disable fast-write, make sure agp is selected not VGA, and turn off usb lagacy support.

961 16:40 01 Nov 04

From what you say is it not possible to start again with fresh format and xp install and then see if system works ok without sp2 for a while

If virus checker and zone alarm or similar are installed then you can establish if system basically works ok with a degree of safety

I wonder how old the drivers are for the video card and the motherboard and if some new ones can be found which are more sp2 sympathetic

If this can be done install sp1 and go on from there

howard60 19:52 01 Nov 04

thanks inneedofhelp I have reset the bios accordingly and will report back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…