major disaster-recovery help needed

gizzyx 01:16 13 Aug 05

Aaaaaarghhhh....i've had a major disaster.after installing some new software which turned out to be useless,i decided to go to a restore point i created before the installation. during the restore, my pc locked up. when i reset and rebooted i got a message along the lines of:-windows cannot start because the file "windows\system32\config\system" is missing or corrupt. using windows repair from the xp disc i have managed to repair this file with a file from the same folder called system.sav. my pc now boots but i have lost all my user profiles and am logged on as a temporary user. i have no restore points to go back to and need to access certain stuff (which of course SHOULD be backed up but isnt!). the data on my hdd seems to be intact but obviously the registry doesn't link to it.firstly is there any way to restore my user profiles or if not how do i get the following info:-
outlook express account details (pop/smtp settings etc)
internet "favourites"
msn contacts
i have managed (obviously)to find myinternet settings and address book contacts. but apparentlyany changes i make to this temporary profile will be lost when i log off. (thanx mr gates for really making my day!) any help would be greatly appreciated!

Technotiger 01:22 13 Aug 05

Hi, a possibility could be Drive Rescue, try

click here

Good luck.

Cheers.

lotvic 01:43 13 Aug 05

have you tried in safe mode? Have a read of this thread and see if anything there will help click here

gizzyx 02:19 13 Aug 05

Technotiger. downloaded the prog but cannot find what i need.
lotvic. nothing to help here. as i said all the data seems to be intact and i can get at it. it is not just a password issue. the system (registry?) data is lost. if i can restore the user profiles i will be o.k. if not, the info i need is how do i find the account details for my mail accounts etc. in a form i can read on screen, write down and restore manually if i have to reformat/ reinstall windows?

gizzyx 02:26 13 Aug 05

or even export to floppy. tell me files and settings transfer wizard!!!! the temp. profile i am using won't do this as they are linked to the system registry (HKUSERS/ HKLM).

lotvic 22:26 13 Aug 05

Please confirm: are you saying that you cannot start in Safe Mode and pick a restore point from the help section?

lotvic 22:55 13 Aug 05

please go here
click here

"""How do you get into Safe Mode? Very easily. When booting your system, as soon as the first (POST) screen appears showing your memory and hardware information, start pressing 'F8.'

In Windows XP Home, the built-in 'administrator' account is only available in safe mode and is the default account for that mode. The password for the administrator account is blank, since it is not accessible except in safe mode. It's recommended that you log in as this account to make changes in safe mode. """"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Prehistoric Britain is laid out in these Royal Mail stamp illustrations

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…