Major CPU Temp Problem

dstarr78 17:03 08 Aug 03

Hi there,

I am having serious problems with my CPU temp.

I have an AMD Athlon 2200XP on a A7V333 Mobo.

When my coer is off, the temp of the CPU averages around 60C, which is the cap limit of the Asus Probe I have, and whe nthe cover is on and I'm playing games, I've see the temp go right up to 80C.

All the fans seem to be working and am getting no erros from the ASUS Probe on them (apart from the Power fan, but I'm told there there is probably not a sensor on that fan).

I have ordered an extra fan, which I am going to put in to help the cooling, but I don't think this will produce the results to decrease the temp down to a normal lvl.

Any suggestions on why this is happening and what I should do?

Regards,
DStarr78

The Sack 17:32 08 Aug 03

Did you install it yourself? a very common problem (and i'll admit to doing it myself) is putting the HSF on the wrong way round. This will give high temps as the pressure from the clip isnt on the die.

Probably not your problem but always worth a mention.

dstarr78 17:36 08 Aug 03

Well, I didn't install the processor myself, but one time I had a fan that was performing really badly, so I got a new heat Sink and Fanand put that on myself.

I didn't realise the fan could be put on the wrong way round, or is the Heat Sink that can be placed the wrong wayround?

Also, one other thing I noticed, from the old heat Sink, the sticky bit on the bottom can had actually a part of it broken and was stuck on the processor, so I just placed the Heat Sink on top of it... could this be a problem?

Djohn 17:40 08 Aug 03

Yes it is most likely the problem!! Turn of your PC and remove the heatsink. Peel of the protective film to expose the thermal pad, then re-place heatsink and fan. This will bring your temps. right down. j.

I had a this problem with an XP2000 using the same board. I noticed however that the bios was indicating a much lower figure, I downloaded the latest version of Asus Probe and the figure is now in line with the bios. The default temperature before the alarm sounds is usually 77C.

My idle temp is currently 61c but this has risen from 53c since to hot spell of weather.

dstarr78 17:42 08 Aug 03

Djohn, I did peel off the protective film before placing down my Heatsink.

The Sack 17:43 08 Aug 03

Sorry the heatsink its self, thanks Djohn for clearing that up.

All old thermal material should be removed before a new one is to be put in place, to be honest it probably wont make much difference but it can only help rather than hurt.

dstarr78 17:45 08 Aug 03

What would be the best way of getting rid of the old thermal material?

It looked pretty stuck on :(

Djohn 17:48 08 Aug 03

Sorry mis-read your post! First, remove the heatsink and fan. Clean the top of the CPU of all old paste.. If your new heatsink has a pad on it, then remove the protective film and fit, making sure it's the correct way round. [Usually there is a protruding male edge to the base of the sink that will fit into female part of CPU.

If the heatsink does not have a pad already on the base, then you will need to place some "Thermal paste" on it before re-fitting, not too much, just a nice even layer about the same thickness as a piece of 80g paper. j.

Djohn 17:52 08 Aug 03

Use a piece of plastic [Old credit card or similar]then use a clean lint free cloth with a little Isopropyl Alcohol click here

The Sack 17:55 08 Aug 03

To remove thermal material from the base of a heatsink i use Brasso wadding believe it or not LOL it eats most thermal gunk and pads. Then i give it a good rubbing with some isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth. For the processor die i just use isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth as i cant see brasso doing it much good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…