Maintenance For Your Computer

Adz1310 00:06 20 Mar 06

Not to long back I asked people which was the best anti virus program out there, with alot of response should be a great tool for anyone looking for that answer!!
So now I ask you this...

What is the best method/programs to keep your computer ticking over nicely??

Look forward to hearing you views....

SG Atlantis® 00:15 20 Mar 06

run ccleaner now and again, defrag now and again, run anti-malware now and again and your AV.

Refrain from looking at dodgy web-sites and loading junk software that you'll never use or don't know where it came from.

vinnyT 13:24 20 Mar 06

CCleaner
O&O defrag
regscrubXP

amonra 13:37 20 Mar 06

I totally agree with SG Atlantis, dont visit "weird" sites and dont download anything you dont REALLY want. There are loads of "free, get me now" programs which promise the earth, but all they want is your address to send out nasties and spam. Never EVER give your address to unknown sites. oh, and keep updating your A/V.

JayDay 13:38 20 Mar 06

Microsoft Defender
CCleaner

€dstowe 14:06 20 Mar 06

In addition to the above advice, make a full system backup and keep it up to date.

There are lots of threads from me and others rabbiting on about backups. Do a search and do a backup - one day you'll need it.

SG Atlantis® 15:42 20 Mar 06

lol, you are persistant :)

Yes back ups are important, you never know when you'll need it!

I'm off to do mine now!

Regards

€dstowe 16:22 20 Mar 06

It's because I was caught out once - never again!!!!

skidzy 16:51 20 Mar 06

Hi Adz..Maybe adding this site to your favourites will be a start.click here
The downloads availible there are very reliable,and i would say most on here use most of them at some point in time.
Just to add to the others recommended here,try these.

Antispyware/Malware Apps.

Spybot Search and Destroy
Adaware
Ewido
Spywareblaster

Antivirus and Firewalls:

Avast (auto updates) av
Avg (Grisoft) manual update av

Zonealarm firewall
Kerio Firewall

All these have free versions,you will not have to or need to pay for anything.All these work well together.Just remember to have only one AV,any more...and you will have a possible conflict.

Hope this helps.

Mike D 17:46 20 Mar 06

€dstowe has it right. You never know when you will need it, but if you do put off doing a back up you can bet you should have done it the day before!

Mike

Pidder 18:27 20 Mar 06

Pardon my ignorance folks, but doesn't System Restore in XP equate to a back-up? Other than copying data files to a C.D. of course.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5