maintenance wizard

Newuser2533 19:32 04 Oct 03

I have just had a "burner" fitted ( I almost sound computer literate) and since then the Maintenance Wizard is taking a long time to start. When it does appear and start it runs OK.
I defragged and even reloaded Windows 98 but it is still slow.
Any help please.
Next.
As I memtioned, I have a burner (there Ive said it again) so as I can copy my progs and back up the system........I'm still reading the short instruction book.
Are they the same as a floppy with respect to most things like deleting re recording after deleting.
Advice please as it doesn't actualy say in the book.
Just before I go can I thank every one over the past year who have given me advice.
PS
I've got a burner............sorry.
Ron

plankton 19:49 04 Oct 03

What sort of "burner" is it, it sounds exciting, and why does the Maintenance Wizard keep starting? (Dont believe everything you read in an instruction book(let). Try it all out by trial and error.);o) If its running it should be OK. Make sure youve got nothing else running in the background and see if it speeds up.....

PSF 19:56 04 Oct 03

They can be like a floppy, Are you using Nero burning software, if you are you can use InCd to drag and drop files onto a cd. You can only use re-writable cd's to do this.

Not sure about your maintenance wizard.

MichelleC 08:59 05 Oct 03

I used the wizard in safemode to defrag and scandisc in 98. Also turn off some startup progs. Only vitals like syst tray, explorer, av and firewall are needed for 98.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…