Mains charger for USB MP3 player

beynac 12:00 01 Jan 06

My wife has just got a Philips GoGear MP3 player. It has a rechargeable battery which is charged via the USB connection to the PC. She would like to be able to charge it while we're on holiday. We've found a number of mains chargers for USB devices on the internet - none of which say that they are suitable for her MP3 player. Would these be OK to use? I would have thought that the power supplied via the USB connection would be unrelated to the device being used, but I don't want to risk blowing up my wife's birhday present! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:29 01 Jan 06

How do I recharge my GoGear micro jukebox?

Answer
You can recharge the GoGear micro jukebox by simply connecting the included multi-voltage adaptor/charger to your player via the connector at the bottom of the player, and then plug the multi-voltage adaptor/charger into a standard AC outlet.

pauldonovan 12:34 01 Jan 06

...is it this one?

click here

It says "he unit has a built in battery and includes an AC charger."

I've never heard of an MP3 player that didn't come with a charger.

beynac 12:52 01 Jan 06

Fruit Bat: it's not the micro jukebox - it's the SA177 flash player. It doesn't come with a charger.

pauldonovan: No, it's not that one it's this click here

Sorry guys, I should have been clearer on the model. The manual only mentions charging via the USB connection.

SG Atlantis® 12:59 01 Jan 06

what kind of battery?

beynac 13:18 01 Jan 06

The battery is a "Rechargeable Li-polymer 280mAh"

LivEviL 13:26 01 Jan 06

i would of thought u could make one if u can find out the voltage u need to charge it and which pins on the usb interface are pos n neg then just connect that to a transformer to get the right voltage! if ur up for that just go to maplins and by the kit it would only take like an hour or so and be cheaper!

Belatucadrus 13:50 01 Jan 06

How about a mains/USB travel adapter click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:31 01 Jan 06

Power
Batteries included : yes
Battery type : LI-Polymer
Battery capacity : 300mAh
Battery playing time (WMA) : 12h
click here

beynac 14:44 01 Jan 06

Thanks everyone for your help.

Problem now solved at no cost! The easy answer was staring me in the face. I am using a 4-way powered USB hub. The power for charging the player was therefore not coming from the computer. The hub is effectively a mains USB power source - all I've got to do is to unplug the computer connection and take the hub on holiday!

bremner 14:48 01 Jan 06

click here# and look at the FAQ "How do I recharge my GoGear" and it only mentions charging via the USB connected to a PC"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced