Mainboard fans problem

bilbo baggins3 17:55 13 Mar 03

I have an Asus A7V133 mainboard and AMD Thunderbird 900 CPU. I transferred it to a new case. The system boots up and loads Windows but none of the fans (CPU,m/b or chassis)are working. I have changed fans and PSU to no avail. I have also loaded default BIOS settings. The BIOS setting for CPU fan to keep working in standby mode is set at 'on'.The Asus Probe utility indicates that the fans are not working and the CPU temperature steadily rises to the benchmark temperature. At this point I shut down. If the mainboard is faulty, does the fact that the system boots up and can be used indicate that the CPU has not been damaged and need not be replaced.Any help please.

Djohn 18:05 13 Mar 03

I think it is safe to say that your system is OK, and your CPU in particular, otherwise you would see nothing at all on your screen.

CPU's while very sensitive to overheating and incorrect voltages, etc. are more robust than some would think, and do have a safety limit that when reached will trip them out before damage.

Having said that, you do need to find the cause of fans not working, and fix this before you carry on using the PC and possibly cause damage.

Rayuk 18:20 13 Mar 03

How have you got the power for the fans via the motherboard or via power supply?

jazzypop 18:37 13 Mar 03

Further clarification, please - when you say that none of the fans are working, is this because you have taken the cover off and physically inspected them while the PC is running, or are you relying on program that reports the speed of the fans?

Note that the AMD Thunderbird does not have a 'thermal cutoff', and will continue to heat until it fries (if there is no cooling from the heatsink fan).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…