Main board power supply

Paroxetine 20:36 26 Jan 03

hi all, a real technical question today.

I have the following set up.

KT4 board, Duron 1Gz, 512mb, 40gb drive, CDROM, CDRW, usual extras such as modem, NIC, SCSI controller for the CDRW, sound card and graphics.
and a 300w PSU.

The PC was working fine, no downloads occured, no programs installed I was in fact rather impressed by how stable and great things were going. I turned the pc on and I heard the fans come to life, and left the room, then upon returning the PC is dead. Examine the main board and nothing is found, the PSU smells burnt so I changed the fuse out. The fuse blew out again, this time though on inspection a diode on the board was also burnt out. Upon intsalling a higher rating PSU 350w this time, the mobo fails to boot (there is no action when the on off swtich is pressed), the PSU is out-putting a smaller then I would like voltage (10.5) though not sure that this is being measured properly. The +12v +5v continuty when using a voltmeter continuity test beep for 2 secs then stop and 'reset'.

In a nut shell....

How do i measure the voltage on the PSU to confirm that its all working as it should be.

If the main board is at fault, what can I look for on the boad as obvious signs?

Hope any one can help me with this, tis beginning to drive me a little mad. :D

Thanks for your time.

DieSse 20:42 26 Jan 03

It's quite possible that a PSU fault can do lots of consequential damage. I've had them that have done no other damage at all, but just the other day had a PSU fault that blew - Motherboard - HDD - CD-ROM - Graphics Card - Modem - RAM (but not CPU or Floppy).

In the above disaster, the blown chips were quite in evidence when visually inspected.

So basically I'm saying anything might have gone.

woodchip 20:53 26 Jan 03

When you smell burning you never put a new fuse in, I would say your comp as add it, you could start with a new motherboard first to check if other things will or not work. As you have already replaced the PSU

Paroxetine 13:14 27 Jan 03

thanks for the postings. The new PSU works fine, its the motherboard that was at fault. There was a cmos chip that is showing signs of heat stress and nothing else, so I am taking photos and sending them to the maker to see what they can do if anything. I would think that the PSU wouldnt have caused the fault and that the board suffered a failure, increasing the load on the PSU and blowing the fuse. When the replacement happened it did it again this time taking the PSU further into the bin.

Many thanks, P.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…