@mail.ru....how do I get rid of this pest?

1248fixx 20:09 PM 23 Mar 13

About 3 weeks or so ago, I downloaded a 'critical' W7 update via Microsoft, and ever since then, on opening Firefox ( or even IE)the opening page is from some Russian search engine site called '@mail.ru'. I can then navigate via Google to my fave sites etc, but it's a real pain, and I'm also certain that page loading has slowed a lot too! can anyone help me to get rid of this pest?

many thanks Ian

rdave13 20:26 PM 23 Mar 13

I don't think it was a Microsoft critical link but malware. Have a look in ad-ons and extentions, in Firefox, and disable or uninstall anything you don't recognise. Re-set your home page. Check programs and features for an unknown program and uninstall. Run Ccleaner's reg cleaner. Finally run Malwarebytes in safe mode then normal mode.

Free malwarebytes link, refuse the trial.

c4rm0 20:54 PM 23 Mar 13

Run a Hijackthis scan and have a look at the log to see what processes / Services / Browser plugins /BHO's are running sounds like you got malware if you want help finding it in the log get it uploaded and i will take a look

1248fixx 21:01 PM 23 Mar 13

rdave - many, many thanks....running Ccleaner now, but resetting the home page seems to have worked as pages are now loading a LOT quicker already.

Cheers

Ian

woodchip 21:45 PM 23 Mar 13

Why not do a Restore to before the problem

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:31 PM 24 Mar 13
Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

7 best iPhone web browser apps: Why Safari for iOS is still a better option than Chrome, Dolphin,…