Mailbot....... just curious

Diemmess 14:08 21 Mar 06

Using W2000
During an enthusiastic clean up, Spybot (updated) showed a summary like this.......

Yellow triangle-

"Error during check!
Mailbot (Datei F:\WINNT\win.ini kann nicht geoffnet werden - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another program"

A line lower
Green Tick
"Congratulations - No immediate threats were found"

Google implies that Mailbot as such, is one of those aids to emailing. Under slightly different names it is malicious.

I tried,CClean, Spybot in Safe Mode, same result.
Neither Ad-Aware nor AVG found anything, nor does it appear in Windows add/remove.

Ran regedit, found one default line which I deleted.
The upshot is that the computer was and is running correctly and I still have that laconic message from Spybot.

I am curious rather than concerned. Can someone explain how Mailbot got there and a non-heroic means of losing it, or even using it?

ACOLYTE 14:51 21 Mar 06

According to click here this is a know problem with spybot,i couldnt open any of the links on the site as they seem to be deleted but it may help.

Diemmess 16:39 21 Mar 06

Nice!
I read that post about advchk.dll, found mine was as suspected o.o.d.

Simply uninstalled Spybot S&D and reinstalled from the "safer-networking" site this time rather than Download.com.

Whether that made a difference is just guessing. but I updated immediately and ran it. Found a couple of minor nasties like Double Click.
Ran a second time and came up with a no-nonsense big green tick.

Put simply, this sort of problem often only needs a careful re-installation from a trusted source.
Thank you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…