Mail Washer ?

Daibus 08:16 24 Aug 03

Because of all the recent virus problems I would like to know if you guys out there find "Mail Washer" a good and effective programme to have on your computer.

Cheers.

bruno 08:34 24 Aug 03

I think you will find it very good but the free version does not work on Hotmail (if you use it).

Blitzer 09:06 24 Aug 03

Personally, although I use Mailwasher I've never noticed any benefit from bouncing SPAM and have not noticed it help reduce the amount of SPAM I receive. However, one very useful feature is being able to see what mails are waiting for you to collect on the server and therefore choose which to delete before collecting mail via your usual e-mail client. Naturally, with the recent virus activity this is a very useful as a first line of defence. HTH. :)

-pops- 09:13 24 Aug 03

I agree with Blitzer. I find Mailwasher very useful to "censor" my email before I download it, especially in view of the particularly revolting and obscene spam that seems to be doing the rounds recently.

You can set mailwasher to varying degrees of rejection for mail and this, used in combination with the rules system in Outlook or OE can be effective in you not having to look at things you prefer not to look at. Don't get me wrong, I'm no prude but some of the stuff trying to come through my email box recently is downright disgusting.

Gmac 09:24 24 Aug 03

The technical helpdesk at blueyonder recommended mailwasher. I find it works brilliantly. I particularly like being able to vet my mail before I download. Its a free download so you have nothing to lose by trying it.My spam e-mail has gone down from 35-40 a day to just a few. I get a spurt (no pun intended) every now and then but I haven't sussed out any obvious connection to a web site yet. However, it does seem to occur after I use the search engine. Currently I use microsoft but think i will try a diffrent browser to see.

krypt1c 09:56 24 Aug 03

I stopped using it because I kept forgetting to close my email client after a check so still got some rubbish. And of course 'bouncing' just increases the amount of traffic as most of the spammers use 1-off addresses. I now use k9, which uses web-based lists to identify what it thinks is spam. This is filtered into a seperate folder which I can check. Any mistakes I just tell k9 and it remembers for next time. You can get a copy from click here if you fancy trying it.

hoverman 09:56 24 Aug 03

I agree with the other comments. Mailwasher's main benefit as far as I am concerned is the ability to monitor what is waiting at the server end. Go for it!!

Smiler 10:06 24 Aug 03

I agree with Blitzer & -pops- and have been using mail washer for quite a while to good effect. kryptic you say you stopped using it as you forgot to close your e-mail client all you had to do was set your e-mail client NOT to check for new mail except when opening. You could then have checked in mailwasher any time and when necessary manually get your e-mail client to check for new mail. This works well for me.

Pappyon 11:29 24 Aug 03

I have read a lot recently about it being a waste of time bouncing spam from Mailwasher, not to mention it only making the situation worse re increasing traffic and clogging up servers etc.

I would appreciate hearing others' points of view

krypt1c 11:42 24 Aug 03

Smiler I appreciate there are always 'get arounds' It's 'horses for courses'. If mailwasher suits use it. Just pointing out there are downsides ;-)
Re bouncong back the threads I've seen are divided. My own view is it just clogs up the system.

Belatucadrus 11:43 24 Aug 03

Bouncing is a waste of time and just increases traffic on the net, if it's spam, just kill it.

If you want to have a go at those responsible for employing the spammers in the first place have a look at Spam CSI click here a bit of overkill perhaps, but if the spammers clientele dries up so will they.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…