mail server changes every boot up

martynd 20:58 18 Oct 05

my mail server is changed to 127.0.0.1 every time i boot up. To get my emails i have to change it back to the original settings provided by my isp.
I have contacted my isp and they say that they think my anti virus software is making the changes,i am using mcafee which is 12+ months old but the problem is quite recent.

martynd 21:02 18 Oct 05

also if i click on links in emails nothing happens ?

VoG II 21:13 18 Oct 05

click here - applies to Outlook Express as well.

Martyn 21:22 18 Oct 05

I have exactly the same problem and I am also using McAfee although my hyperlinks work.
I have tried deleting my accounts and setting them up again. I am with BT broadband.

Number 7 22:08 18 Oct 05

See the replies by Thecarpman click here

Martyn 22:41 18 Oct 05

Thanks Number 7 it is McAfee. You need to go to Spamkiller - manage Email Accounts and enter your Email address password and servers. All works OK then. It doesn't seem to work if you just disable Spamkiller.

Martyn 23:00 18 Oct 05

It works OK after several reboots but 127.0.0.1 is still there in Outlook as the incoming mail server?

Number 7 23:26 18 Oct 05

Have a look at McAfee's UK support site for problems with your product click here

I've heard of this problem with McAfee and, sometimes, it's only fixed by an uninstall/install of McAfee.

PaulB2005 06:50 19 Oct 05

"It works OK after several reboots but 127.0.0.1 is still there in Outlook as the incoming mail server? "

127.0.0.1 is a "Loop-Back" address. It points back to your PC. McAfee has installed a program which downloads your e-mail from the mail server at your ISP and then sorts the Spam and the OE connects to that program to get your mail. Hence OE now looks at the address 127.0.0.1. It's looking for the McAfee Spam-Killer you installed on your PC.

As you say it now works OK.

martynd 12:57 08 Nov 07

It is caused buy mcafee spam checker, have switched off all ok now

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…